cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

do you need to get to the equipment much

preachbrit
Dabbler

do you need to get to the equipment much

I just applied to join the trial as i have just joined and was thinking of having the equipment in the cupboard under the stairs which is directly behind the master socket and maybe routing it upstairs to my network switch via cat 5 or a powerline adapter. Question is do i need to get at the equipment much or is it install and it is fine as is?
26 REPLIES 26
beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: do you need to get to the equipment much

My ONT was installed December 2013 - haven't had to touch it since
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Welcome to the forums Smiley
Nah you'll be fine. Recommend using PLA's personally.
Matty
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I beg to differ and would go for Ethernet cable, it will be more reliable and not create any RF noise issues that Powerline adaptors are known to do. Smiley
MattyC
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 46

Whatever suits really. Ethernet is naturally more reliable, but I have been a bit of a convert to PLA's since I bought some out with my Plusnet TV.
ex-Plusnet staffer. Any posts after 28/07/2017 aren't on behalf of Plusnet
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

There has been some discussion in the FTTC section about PLA's causing an increase in errors on the FTTC modem and hence reducing the overall speed.
However a very big difference on the FTTP ONT is that you should be powering it from the Openreach supplied UPS so there is no direct electrical connection from the ONT to the mains supply. This should mitigate the errors seen on FTTC modem.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
preachbrit
Dabbler

well since my current speed daytime varies between 0.2  Sad and on a good day 4mb a little loss from 30+ should not cause a great deal of hassle.
beeceegee
Pro

Quote from: georgelnx
However a very big difference on the FTTP ONT is that you should be powering it from the Openreach supplied UPS so there is no direct electrical connection from the ONT to the mains supply.

Bear in mind that the Openreach UPS (at least the one I have) is basically just a few rechargeable AA batteries. It's there solely to keep the phone connection alive, the first thing it does in the event of a power failure is disconnect the internet port. I have the Openreach UPS plugged into one of my own UPSes. In fact, when it was first installed we suspected a fault in the OR UPS so we ran the ONT straight into mine for a while, which worked fine. The OR engineer said that as I don't have phone over fibre the OR UPS wasn't really needed, but he had to install it anyway.
gunsmoke
Grafter

Also,
depending on how the fibre gets to you, it might not terminate at your master socket.
My copper comes underground (not in a duct), and terminates in a master socket by the front door.
The fibre was led to the top of the house from a pole, down to the splice point, and from then, round the back of the house & in to the ONT
My voice line is still copper, & would be an interesting wiring problem to join the two
HTH
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: georgelnx
However a very big difference on the FTTP ONT is that you should be powering it from the Openreach supplied UPS so there is no direct electrical connection from the ONT to the mains supply.

Well the Openreach engineer who installed my ONT connected it direct to the mains and handed me the UPS in its box, I eventually fitted the UPS myself after a few weeks just as a back up in case of power failure, a simple transfer of the plug of the mains powers supply unit from the ONT to the UPS and fitting the supplied link wire between the two.
Quote from: beeceegee
It's there solely to keep the phone connection alive, the first thing it does in the event of a power failure is disconnect the internet port.

If I switch the power off to the UPS it instantly switches over to batteries and I do not lose my internet connection.
AndyH
Grafter

Hmm do you have a Huawei ONT? The internet dies when I switch off the power and use the battery backup. It was supposed to be designed as a power backup for FVA, rather than data connectivity.
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
Hmm do you have a Huawei ONT?

Yes it is the BT/Openreach badged version of the Huawei HG8240, just checked again and can confirm when I switch the mains power off the UPS instantly switches to batteries and the internet stays on, as I am now typing.  
Bottom right in this picture:-
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13749/related/1
beeceegee
Pro

Quote from: Hobo
just checked again and can confirm when I switch the mains power off the UPS instantly switches to batteries and the internet stays on, as I am now typing.  
Bottom right in this picture:-
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13749/related/1

Yup, that's the one. This is the link to the Battery page: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36953 It only refers to maintaining the phone, and then only for an hour
Very strange. Which socket on the ONT is your router plugged into? I'm assuming it wouldn't work if plugged into the FVA socket on the ONT  Huh
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: beeceegee
Very strange. Which socket on the ONT is your router plugged into?

Router plugged into Port 1 never changed it since the Openreach Engineer installed it two years ago as never needed to, only time it is switched off is when away on holidays.
drunkenmonkey
Grafter

I've got that ONT as well and if I unplug my power the UPS kicks in but Internet doesn't disconnect as I don't have the control cable plugged in for the battery pack to tell ONT that the main is disconnected.