cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

digging up the driveway?

vetterlein
Grafter

digging up the driveway?

The FAQ says "the cable will run alongside you existing phone line" ... well that runs under the lawn , some driveway and concrete ... so what do they do? Do they have a mole? ... because digging up all that and repairing it is closer to 3 days work than 3 hours?
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: digging up the driveway?

The existing line should be in a conduit so they can just thread the fibre though.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AL

Whether the incoming line is in ducting or not is likely to depend on the age of the house and whether the line has been replaced in recent years. Not sure when new builds were first supplied via ducts - late 80's maybe? If you line is in duct it should be obvious where it comes out of the ground, either you can see it or there will be a cover over the end of it attached to the wall.
I can see this becoming a major issue for FTTP installs, at the moment, for the trials, it sounds like Openreach are just applying as much resource as required to get it done but I suspect the costs will be enormous if every install is as difficult. It wouldn't surprise me if when FTTP is mainstream the householder will be supplied with the ducting to lay themselves before the rest of the install happens.
It also seems that underground supplies to pre 80's/90's developments are all direct buried under pavements too, so to get FTTP into these I think the effort and mess might be similar to the cable rollout twenty years ago - holes in pavements everywhere for ages!
vetterlein
Grafter

My house was built in the 70s
doodyone

Mine too, but when I had a second line put in for ISDN(?) sometime in the late 90's there was no digging up of anything.
dick:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It's standard for a 4 wire cable to be used to go from the drop point to the premises but each line only requires two wires.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)