cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless N slower than G

Habylab
Grafter

Wireless N slower than G

I don't get this. I have just payed for a £40 Linksys WMP600n, top range and really good reviews. Setup was really easy, and updated drivers, but its slowwww. Internet is around 3mb, compared to 12 mb on wireless g. But still, I should be getting much faster than that, my connection speed has dropped dramatically since installation. I'd appreciate if anyone could look at my account, that would be great.
2 REPLIES 2
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: Wireless N slower than G

Hi,
I've had a quick check on your account and can't see anything wrong. Ran a BT check and it shows the line in sync at 35Mbps down and 10Mbps up
I'd suggest a couple of things, first try the connection wired and see how that performs, if that's OK then make sure your wireless encryption is set to WPA or WPA2 as WEP will max out a lot lower than WPA. If wired is slow try switching back to the old router and see if that's slow too.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Habylab
Grafter

Re: Wireless N slower than G

Done all of them. I've managed to get the Wireless N adapter to just a bit better than Wireless G, but still slow on wired. Around 15mb average, 22mb max. No where near the mentioned 35mb. 10mb is about right for upload though, although fluctuates quite a lot.