cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless Bridge/Access Point

nickroyle
Hooked

Wireless Bridge/Access Point

The master socket for my phone is on the ground floor of my house and I intend for the engineer to install the Netgear WNR1000 in this location too. However I need a wired ethernet network on the 2nd floor in my study with a minimum of four ethernet ports.
Unfortunately running the ethernet extension cable to the second floor isn't practical due to the layout of the house, decoration, carpets, stairs etc.
So I was thinking if I can install some wireless receiving device up in the study with a 4 port ethernet switch that would be a solution. I believe this might be called an Access Point or Wireless Bridge.
Anyone have any advice/suggestions/recommendations?
2 REPLIES 2
MrT
Grafter

Re: Wireless Bridge/Access Point

An Edimax EW-7209APg or EW-7416APn might suit your requirements. See http://www.edimax.co.uk/en/produce_list.php?pl1_id=1&pl2_id=5 for further details.  Smiley
jedi98
Grafter

Re: Wireless Bridge/Access Point

You could use 200mbps home plug adapters to connect the ethernet on the BT modem on the ground floor to the WAN socket on the router on the 2nd floor, there are lots available, eg: http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/powerline-and-coax/default.aspx
GND: BT Master NTE ------>(RJ11)------> BT VDSL Modem ------>(CAT5/RJ45) ----->Home Plug
2ND: Home Plug ------>(CAT5/RJ45) ------> WNR1000
Both floors need to be on the same mains power supply/phase.
Or, would it be possible to take a single cat5 outside, up the wall and then back in? That would be the technically best solution if you could get to it, cat5 will stand up to a lot of punishment:
BT Master NTE ------>(RJ11)------> BT VDSL Modem on GND ---------->(CAT5/RJ45 up 2 stories outside) ----------> WNR1000 on 2nd
Or,
GND: BT Master NTE ------>(RJ11)------> BT VDSL Modem ------>(CAT5/RJ45) -----> WNR1000------>(CAT5/RJ45) -----> Home Plug
2ND: Home Plug ------>(CAT5/RJ45) ------> 10/100 N port switch