cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will you be offering 300Mb fibre any time soon?

FIXED
leehowarth
Grafter

Will you be offering 300Mb fibre any time soon?

I currently have Fttp with Plusnet, now the trial has ended will you be offering faster packages?
BT offer 200Mb and 300Mb packages which I'm tempted with as I'm currently on the 80Mb.
11 REPLIES 11
sasha33
Grafter

Re: Will you be offering 300Mb fibre any time soon?

I'm curious to know where that is, I live in north London and 76Mbs is the highest speed.

leehowarth
Grafter

I'm in the dark realms up north.
Fttp is capable of supplying 1Gbps but Plusnet have chosen to match the lower speeds to the fttc products.

When I do the line check on the bt website they are offering me up to 300Mb but I would rather stay with Plusnet as I don't fancy any potential issues with switching provider.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note.
Moved from Fibre to FTTP trials board
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I very much doubt that you will get a straight answer to this one.. If, or more probably when, Plusnet make FTTP available as a standard offering at any speed the information will be kept under wraps until there is a grand publicity announcement.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

Plusnet don't currently offer any connection speeds over the 80mbps product and I am unable to shed any light on when we might be able to offer them, although I'd be surprised if it was in the immediate future. 

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Fix

Hi leehowarth,

Plusnet are owned by the BT group.

BT group are marketing speeds above 80 megabits as ultrafast and  premium product.

BT reserve premium products for the BT and EE brands.

I doubt PN will be allowed to offer such speeds until Talktalk etc are offering these speeds.

I see Zen offer ultrafast speeds and are cheaper than BT!

Zen cusmoer support and customer satisfaction ratings are much better than BT.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/10/31/zen_emerges_as_least_whingedabout_british_isp/

Richard

leehowarth
Grafter

Yikes , Zen want £76.99 a month and a £55 activation fee.

BT want £59.99 a month with a £59.99 activation fee.

Might have to rethink this a little.
krusty
Rising Star

For those of you have compared EE and PN regarding broadband, you are forgetting that EE, doesn't have any infrastructure like PN has. They are using the BT system.

Even though PN is owned by BT, it is a separate isp, with its own backhaul etc.

With the future ultra fast houses reached  even in the next 2 years projected by BT, for PN not to sell those services would be madness.

The FTTP trial was only ever done, to understand the issues, in its various form for PN, its staff, bandwidth, support etc*.

* I have no inside knowledge of this but understand this from a pure business planning viewpoint

mrjezz

Another year goes by and no speed upgrades, many other providers in the area offer up to 300mb fibre services now, Sky included. Why are Plusnet not offering this service? Surely you want to take more money from your users?!

I'd like to move away from Plusnet as they can't match the services offered by the competition now.

leehowarth
Grafter

To be honest i'm now of the opinion that its not automatically worth shifting to another provider based purely on speed offered.

I know speed used to be the big thing and for many years we always wanted faster internet connections but were now at a point where speed isn't necessarily the biggest factor.

I have the 80Mbps package with no phone line so i'm paying approx £21 / month, to get a faster package I would have to pay around £50 - £70/ month as well as the potential issues and inconveniences of migration. We are a family of four with two children approaching teenage years in a 4 bedroom house. We have a smart tv in every room, multiple phones, laptops, tablets, hive, sky etc.... I can honestly say at no point in the last 12 months have I ever thought my internet wasn't fast enough no matter what device i'm using or what kind of resources i'm accessing.

The only benefit I can see for me having a faster connection is when downloading something having that slightly smug feeling you get when you see how fast the bar is moving across the screen 🙂

I appreciate other peoples needs are different to my own and would benefit from 300Mbps, and i'm not trying to discourage anyone from changing, this is purely from my point of view.

If I can offer one piece of advice to anyone wanting to upgrade to the ultra fast speeds, make sure you've got a really good wifi network at home first, that will make more difference to your home internet experience. I have a mesh network with 3 routers, one on each floor and it has improved our network dramatically compared to the shoddy wifi I was using on the Plusnet router.

I am keeping an eye on the Sky FTTP rollout though as I expect they will offer some tempting multiplay packages.

PaPow
Dabbler

It is for me, currently got 3.9Mbps on ADSL. FTTP is available now so a leap from 3.9 to 300 would be amazing (apart from the extra cost). Just waiting for my contract exit cost to reduce a bit before leaping, unless Plusnet start offering FTTP in the mean time.