cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi dropping out

Ipmdfm1
Dabbler

Wifi dropping out

Hi we have had FTTP for quite a long time now. Its increasingly dropping out, and the speed is all over the place. My daughter is the furthest away from the router, and has the biggest issue, although even close by it can disconnect. Would a booster help or is there something else I could try. The channel is set to smart select

9 REPLIES 9
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Wifi dropping out

@Ipmdfm1 

Is the speed OK over a wired connection? It should be close to 38/10 or 78/20 depending on which package you're on.

The PlusNet router is a re-badged BT HH5 and is considered basic. One thing you might want to consider is investing in a better quality router. BT HH6 and SmartHub2's are available reasonably cheaply on eBay though you would need to make sure you got the FTTP version. Although "locked" they work on PlusNet - there is a thread available on the forum explaining how to set them up.

Brian

Ipmdfm1
Dabbler

Screenshot_20200519-162728_Speedtest.jpg1589902085504704245453095242295.jpg

Ipmdfm1
Dabbler

I've attached the router and the speed test results, as you can see it's all over the place.  Would a new/better router than this help

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @Ipmdfm1

Sorry you've had some trouble with your connection, if this is mainly WiFi you're seeing the issues on please follow this guide. Otherwise Together with our network partners at Openreach we are prioritising customers who don’t have a phone line or broadband connection, meaning there might be a delay in Speed Faults being fixed. In the meantime, please raise your speed fault online at faults.plus.net.

Thanks. 

bmc
Hero

@Ipmdfm1 

You don't say if the speed tests are wired or WiFi - this matters. If it's WiFi you really need to try a wired connection just to check the "received" speed - this can be different to the recorded WiFi speed.

If it is a WiFi problem you could perhaps try a factory re-set of the Router (note if you've changed the network identifier or password these would revert to the original). You could also try separating the 2.4 and 5 bands. Most people simply add  _5  to the 5g band to identify it.

The HubOne has also been known to dislike multiple WiFi devices connected at the same time.

A new higher quality router should help but finding the one for you is another matter. What works for one person may not work for the next.

Brian

Ipmdfm1
Dabbler

Hi yes it's when its wifi, ethernet is fine. So a new router may be the way forward?
EdWeasley
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Hi @Ipmdfm1,

Thank you for taking your time to get in touch.

I am very sorry that you are having a problem with our service.

One way to cure this would to be to use an Ethernet cable between all of your devices, as this reduces the Wi-Fi interference, however sometimes we do understand that this is not possible on all devises.

Wi-Fi interference is a very common thing and it is difficult to detect on our side as we are not in your property; I have placed a guide below on how to change the Wi-Fi channel on your router which would cure this.

Please be aware that our router provides 13 different wireless channels, and we do advise you try all channels for at least 24 hours each to give an accurate representation of the speeds/ connection.

Firstly please can you open a device that can connect to the internet via a web browser and open the web browser (for example Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Fire Fox, Edge or Safari). Next locate the address bar (where you usually type in www. Etc) and type in 192.168.1.254 and press enter on the keyboard. This should bring up the router setup page where you can find multiple tabs along the top. Please select the advanced settings option. This will then ask you for an admin password which can be found on the little card provided or on the router its self (it may also be referred to as the router password and will be case sensitive), after typing this in please press ok followed by continue to advanced settings. This will then provide you with multiple options with a second layer of tabs. The first option will say wireless please can you click on that. Underneath will have a 2.4 GHz option, a 5 GHz option and WPS please can you select the 2.4 option. This will next bring up multiple options below and one of these will say channel selection, please change this to manual then below it will give you an option for channel, please change this accordingly depending on what it needs changing to and then click apply (found on the bottom). If you have done this connected wireless then it may have dropped out your connection, if this has occurred don’t worry all you will need to do is re connect to the Wi-Fi.

Another option which may assist a better wireless signal is to separate the networks on your router so you can have a 2.4GHz and a 5GHz network running simultaneously. To do this you need to go back to advanced settings as above and click on the wireless option on the second layer of tabs. Next click on the 5GHz option next to 2.4GHz wireless. Under here it has an option to sync with 2.4GHz, please can you change this to no. Next there it says Wireless SSID, these needs to be changed from the original one so you can see that this is the 5GHz network, this may be easier to just apply (5GHz) to the end. Next press apply at the bottom followed by I am sure once it asks you. This 5GHz network is recommended to be used closer to the router and use the original network when further away. Unfortunately not every device will be compatible with this network but the wireless will still improve from making these changes.

Kind regards,

Josh

Josh Berriman
 Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero

@Ipmdfm1 

If you've looked through the WiFi Help pages and nothing's made a difference then a new router may well be the next step. I would suggest starting a new thread under "My Router" asking for FTTP router suggestions. BT HH6 and SmartHub2 off eBay may be the cheapest choice - just make sure you get the FTTP version. You can read up on using these on PlusNet elsewhere on this Forum.

Brian

Ipmdfm1
Dabbler

Hi Jon, when looking at the channels, the router is set to smart channel auto, do I need to change this to manual and select a different channel