cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens when my exchange goes live?

sourceit
Grafter

What happens when my exchange goes live?

Hi
I am aware that the trials for FTTC have closed, but my town is due to go live on 31/03/11.  What do I do then?  Will PlusNet have a product in place by then?
Also, I am on a Business Premier Option 3 with 8 static IP addresses.  I have one on my DG834 router for simple modem functionality and then one feed into a Linksys RV082 firewall and another feed into an old Netgear Virgin router that I use for my sons internet use that I can heavily restrict with OpenDNS.  The question is how will this work with the Fibre setup?  Really I want the fibre to come in to the same point and the router act the same as the DG834.  Is this possible and will my IP range be transferable to the FTTC setup?
Regards
Ben
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: What happens when my exchange goes live?

http://community.plus.net/blog/2011/01/26/plusnet-fibre-trials-update/ explains the next phase of the trial, the additional cost now imposed for Beta trial and when the new products are likely to appear.
That said... I'm not sure what happens regarding your current business product as their is no equivelent Value, Extra or Pro packages. I suspect you just stay with your current product and features.
While the change will not affect your block of 8 IPs (I have an 8 IP block as well), the FTTC connection involves a new router with a RJ45 WAN connection to the BT fitted VDSL modem. The supplied routers do not support IP blocks.
It's not clear how your network is arranged as I know the DG834 does not support a block of IPs in NAT mode, so I suspect you have something else connected to the phone line which routes the individual IPs to the various routers you have mentioned. Can you give more details on what equipment you have connected to what, how it is configured (NAT/Bridge etc) and I/we can probably answer if you need to change anything.
One final thing... any date that are at the end of a month are normally holding dates... meaning BT don't actually know when it will be available... it could be sooner, but more likely much later. The only way you will know is when the BT checker says you have a fibre capability available. My dates started in Jan 2010, jumped various times and months to Dec 2010, disappeared several times then suddenly I had fibre in June.
sourceit
Grafter

My netgear DG834 is setup with one of my public IP addresses.  The DG834 has firewall, NAT and DHCP all disabled.  This then links to my RV082 VPN firewall which has NAT, firewall, VPN, DHCP, etc all running on it.
On another spur from the DG834 I have an old Virgin ethernet router that has another public IP address and has NAT, DHCP & firewall and is locked down for my 6 year old son to use the internet and keep him away from my work!!  My IP phone also runs on this network.
My only issue is that the Pro, Value and Extra packages added together wouldn't serve my bandwidth needs as average 200Gb a month!
After all this excitement, looks like FTTC isn't ready for business just yet, alternatively, I may have to get another line installed just for FTTC and link it into my dual WAN RV082
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

I don't know the RV082 but it sounds like a proper hardware firewall. If it support PPPoE it could be connected directly to the BT VDSL modem. The only issue with that is the link to the Virgin router, which would have to be routed through the RV082 and not NATed - it may be possible using a VALN if it supports it..
It's possible the plusnet supplied router could be put into bridge mode like the DG834 and do the same job as the 834 does now.
The link I gave said business customers would stay on their existing product so you don't have to change it and thus keep all the current allowances you have.
Vip3r
Grafter

If I understand you setup correctly then at the moment you have a DG834 that is a combined Modem and 4-port switch setup as a simple modem.
If you changed to FTTC then BT will connect a new VDSL modem for you (1 RJ45 port),
all you would then need is a 4 (or 8 ) port switch and connect this to the modem together (the 2 bits would give you the same functionality you have now).
(You could in theory use the DG834 as a simple 4 port switch.  :-\)
So you would then connect the 2 routers into the switch.
That is all assuming that both your routers are doing PPPoE (so they both have the plusnet username and password setup) and the DG834 is not!
The full setup would be :-
[BT VDSL Modem]  ---RJ45---> [DG834 as a switch]   ---RJ45---> [RV082 Router]
                                               \
                                                 ---RJ45---> [Virgin Router]

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

You can't have 2 routers doing PPPoE, just like you can't have 2 ADSL modem/routers doing PPPoA. Whatever connects to the VDSL modem must establish the PPPoE connection to Plusnet and it gets the IP address assigned by PlusNet to the router.
The VDSL is a modem, not a router so it does not have an IP address that the DG834 (in your diagram) can switch to/from!
[BT VDSL Modem]  -- RJ45/PPPoE -- [WAN Port [RV082 Router] LAN Ports] ---> Internal network of local (NAT) and public routed (No-Nat or multi-NAT) IPs
This assumes the firewall can do both NAT and no-NAT/Multi-NAT (public) routing. If it can, one public IP will be assigned to the Virgin router which is connected to one of the LAN ports of the RV082.
Vip3r
Grafter

You might be right there.
I was assuming that this was the way the current setup is working, but re-reading the op (It was late last night ::)) seems more like the DG834 is doing the PPPoA - Not the 2 other Routers.
If the OP wanted to keep the same setup then replacing the DG834 with the new BT VDSL + the Plusnet Provided WNR1000v3 might also do the job.
But I would agree that your suggestion is the better one. There really should be no need for 3 Routers  Wink