What are my options?

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: What are my options?

Fix

Glad to hear your FTTP service is finally connected.

I've nudged up the speed profile on your account to the highest it can to go for the ADSL package that your account is currently on. If you reboot your router now you should see a higher speed. 

Unfortunately we can't do instant account changes at present to move you to the appropriate fibre package, so I've had to schedule it for your next billing date which is due to complete on the 19th September. If you reboot your router again then you should see an even higher speed.

[edit]

Please disregard the automated email you've received about a problem with your broadband order. Looks like our system tried to place an FTTC order, but unsuccessfully obviously, when I scheduled the product change.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Crellster
Rising Star

@Gandalf You and me both!

What's the cap on the current package? 

Things are looking a bit better now though nowhere near the fibre package on downlad. It was a  bit unstable and disconnecting but that also seems to have stopped.   

Ookla: 

13.8 Mb/s Down 

21.3 Mb/s Up

Unifi: 

14.2 Mb/s Down 

22.5 Mb/s Up

Ping is 8-10 ms

Certainly an improvement over what we had before!

Is there no way you can just flick the magic switch to unleash all those remaining download latent Kb? It sounded so quick and easy on some of the other threads. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Those speeds do look a lot better!

Sadly no amount of known magic will speed up the product change process.

In the interim period at least you've got a significantly higher download speed than before and the full upstream speed.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

To answer your question about the cap on your current package which I seem to have missed in my excitement, it’s 21mbps.

Were you testing over WiFi or a wired ethernet connection?
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Crellster
Rising Star

@Gandalf what’s a good time tomorrow to check for the product switch to move from “diet” to “full fat”?

Noticed a huge difference as you’d expect already and once the speed stabilised I could see 21/21 at the router. My Unifi controller seemed to be throttling the lan by 1-2 Mb so moved it off their cloudkey to a NAS and the bottleneck has gone.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Scheduled account changes normally happen in the early hours of the morning, around 6am I think and we'll send you an email when done. So once you receive the email if you reboot your router you should see a vast improvement in your speed. Vvrrroooom!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Crellster
Rising Star

@Gandalf I got the product switch email around 0100. I've rebooted the router a couple of times but still seem limited to roughly 20Mb. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've given the speed profile a big kick now. Reboot your router once more and let us know how your speed looks Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Crellster
Rising Star

That's a "Fonzie-like" skill you have there. The kick seems to have done the job. A few quick checks over wifi and via gigabit lan are showing roughly 74 /21 . Will plug direct to the router and test later to try to track down those elusive 6 Mb

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Crellster wrote:

... Will plug direct to the router and test later to try to track down those elusive 6 Mb

I don't think you'll find another 6Mb/s. though you may find about 3Mb/s.  Wink

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looking good! Thumbs_Up, I mean Aaayyyyy!

(I had to ask a colleague what fonzie was.)

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Crellster
Rising Star

Just wanted to say a big thank you @Gandalf for your perseverance on this and the level of 121 attention that is so unusual these days in terms of case management. If I’d moved ISP I’m not convinced I’d be connected yet. Also thank you for the gift which lasted all of 10 minutes ! Smiley

The isssues were all Openreach related so I don’t have any concerns over the service from Plusnet whatsoever. We have a stable 76/21 at the moment which seems to be meeting everyone’s needs so no need to scratch the 350 itch Smiley
MrMot
Grafter

I also get around 74/21. Are you still finding this to be the case?

Crellster
Rising Star

@MrMot I'm afraid I'm a bit too lazy to give you an accurate response Smiley

When I had a 3 Mb service I monitored it to within an inch of its life with three different reporting tools and measures for uptime, ping and SNR /. db. 

Now I have bandwidth to burn I'm a little more laissez-faire. On the one occasion I pulled the Switch and Wifi network from the router I achieved 80/22 if I remember correctly. I should do it again but because everything is working It's not really a priority.

I also encountered a bottleneck on my Unifi device when using IPS (which they acknowledge). I moved the controller to a new device and it seems to have improved from the 74 Mb/s I originally saw to around 76-78 Mb/s on average (there's still a cap around 85 Mb/s on their USG gateway product). I've been running speed tests via ookla and the Unifi controller and just tried it from a a MacBook over ac wifi. 76.8/20.5 shown, and I can see on the unified controller there's some active clients operating at the same time - e.g.  music being streamed etc