cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my chances of being asked to join the trial?

Salopian
Dabbler

What are my chances of being asked to join the trial?

I rang support to ask about the FTTP trial and was told that I would be contacted by Plusnet if they wanted me to join.

How are the members selected?

As I only have FTTP available the only way to get fibre speeds is by being on the trial or moving suppliers.

11 REPLIES 11
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: What are my chances of being asked to join the trial?

From https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-To-The-Premises-trial/Want-to-Join-PlusNet-FTTP-From-BT-FTTP/m-p...

Unfortunately due to the way our signup process works for new customers, we can't setup an account if there isn't ADSL or FTTC showing at www.dslchecker.bt.com

Hopefully in the not too distant future we'll offer FTTP as a full service for new customers as well as existing.

For the time being there's no workaround I'm afraid.

Sorry for any disappointment.

Anoush

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

The full list of Openreach FTTP providers offering a commercial product you can sign up to, can be found at

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/ultrafast-broadband/ultrafast-fibre-buy-...

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@Salopian wrote:

As I only have FTTP available the only way to get fibre speeds is by being on the trial or moving suppliers.

Are you currently a PlusNet customer?

If so, you can sign up for the Trial at https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20 (Note you need to e logged into your PlusNet Members page.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@Salopian wrote:

I rang support to ask about the FTTP trial and was told that I would be contacted by Plusnet if they wanted me to join.

How are the members selected?

Support probably know very little about the FTTP trial and it would be unlikely that PN would contact you to join it, rather you would apply to join.

As has been pointed out by @SpendLessTime, you aren't already a PN ADSL/VDSL customer and don't have those services available at your address then you are unable to join through the normal route due to limitations in the PN ordering system.

However there may be a workaround if you were able to become a PN customer by having non-contracted ADSL installed at another address (friends/family?) from which you could then join the FTTP trial by doing a house move to the address you're at which only has FTTP available.  Wink

Salopian
Dabbler

I am curently a Plusnet customer. FTTP is available at my address. I was told that I had ot be invited to the trial. It now appears that I can apply at the link in a previous post.

Why couldn't customer services tell me that?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

They're not trained to deal with questions regarding the FTTP trial.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
bmc
Hero

@Salopian

Because it's a Trial the service is not integrated with PlusNet back office systems. You can't get PlusNetTV (though you can get the BT Sport app for £5.00pm). It is always best to assume the Call and Live Chat support staff know little if anything about FTTP.

The DSL checker will give a couple of snippets of information about an FTTP install.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Apart from having WC FTTP is the left hand column it should state "1 stage" or "2 stage" - this means one visit or two.

There is a narrative after the results. The first paragraph should say something about FTTP like "... feed .... residential property, single premises"

This will have "UG" or "OH" for your phone line and give an indication of any anticipated problems.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

As others have mentioned, the only criteria to join our FTTP trial is that you've got to be an existing broadband customer, and there needs to be WBC FTTP showing as available at www.dslchecker.bt.com

Apologies if you were advised otherwise by our support team.

Once you've raised a ticket at trials.plus.net feel free to drop us a reply back here and we'll take a look.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@Salopian  Your first post said that only FTTP is available so are you currently on an ADSL service?

The important thing to look for on the checker link that BMC supplied is 'WBC FTTP' in the left hand column not 'FTTP on Demand' which is a stupidly expensive product not offered by PlusNet.

Salopian
Dabbler

What I meant was, I have only the offering of FTTP which Plusnet does not support yet. Plusnet sell FTTC but that is unavaiable to me. The only upgrade is via the trial.

I have WBC FTTP, 2 Stage, OH. so no problems with installing as my neighbours have it with BT.

I have been with Plusnet  for many years.

bmc
Hero

OK - so sign up for the Trial if you wish a faster service and keep an eye on View my Questions in your Members page which is where PlusNet will respond to your ticket.

Two stage means two visits from OR. The first will install the fibre cable from a distribution point to a box to be fitted to the outside of your house. The second will bring the cable indoors and install the ONT for your service.

Brian