Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird things..... [FTTC]

pullenuk
Grafter

Weird things..... [FTTC]

Hey all looking for suggestions here!
I'm on the FTTC 80/20 trial using the ZyXEL router. However I noticed some strange things.
I basically the "ICT Tech" of the family, therefore I look after my parents Plusnet account as well as mine. (they live two streets away lol) They are on the normal value 40/2 fibre. I'm on the extra 40/2 with pro but upgraded to the trial 80/20.
Few things I noticed.....
My parents account reports 37mb line speed in the member centre, mine says 20mb.
Their download speed hit the 37mb and their upload speeds just under the 2 - other words perfect connection.
Mine did exactly the same before getting the 80/20 trial.
When I got the trial, to begin with I got speeds of 60+ on downloads and 15+ on uploads, impressive and I was well happy.
Now it dropped to around 20-38mb download (depending on speed testers used) and around 10/11mb on uploads. So why this happened?
Results from BT speed test.....
Download Speed
32 Mbps

0 Mbps 51.12 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 32 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-51.12 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 51.12 Mbps
Upload Speed
7.21 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 7.21Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps (<- is that what the member centre reporting on?!)
Speedtest.uk.net reports this below.

Thoughts guys?
(I tell you one thing, since getting this 80/20 I host nearly every game on Modern Warfare 3 on Xbox Live and it often makes it WORSE lol!)
11 REPLIES 11
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Weird things..... [FTTC]

Hi there,
Not sure what's happening there but from what you've posted I think raising a fault would be the only way we could deal with it to be honest. If you raise it through http://faults.plus.net we'll get it tested and escalated as soon as we can.
pullenuk
Grafter

I'm in process of following the faults stuff. Plugging the modem direct to my computer didn't do a different and when it was back in the router all the speeds jumped up slightly to 40 down and 9 up. Interesting.
jim:quote
pullenuk
Grafter

Now this
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there, just tweaked your profile on our side - let me know if that makes a difference. If so I may well have to feed back on whoever changed it 😕
pullenuk
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Hi there, just tweaked your profile on our side - let me know if that makes a difference. If so I may well have to feed back on whoever changed it 😕

Have noticed browsing seems very snappy all of a sudden! Very quick to load pages all of a sudden!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm, no difference to speed though - but good news on the improved response. I'll make sure that gets fed back.
pullenuk
Grafter

I have been gaming on modern warfare 3 for hour and half. I was hosting most of the games - now good news, the connection is clearly better than most people I play with. Bad news - the game makers use lag controls which ruins my game.
Sometimes..... Plusnet is too good 🙂
BT Speedtest showed a lower result, but the other was similar to the previous result.
Will test this evening, see where it goes.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just to say, I've seen people get around the lag compensation issues by streaming a video at the same time as they're playing the game. Not sure if it'll work but could be worth a go Wink
pullenuk
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Just to say, I've seen people get around the lag compensation issues by streaming a video at the same time as they're playing the game. Not sure if it'll work but could be worth a go Wink

I will try a BBC iplayer to see if it makes a differnet - obviously with this speed, maybe a HD stream! I'm going to try and use traffic control on the ZyXEL router - once I figured it out.
Latest speed just done

BT speedtest reports same download speed but 9.94 on the upload. Close enough I guess  Smiley
Connection more stable now, so I will see how the next few days go.
Whats the general feedback with the ZyXEL routers and the original Netgear ones?
pullenuk
Grafter

Latest result. Very stable line!! But it makes me wonder if the line is actually capable of more since its locked at that speed?
pullenuk
Grafter

Looks like I hit the limits of my connection???