Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using existing Router

chrisoldinho
Grafter

Using existing Router

Hi,
I will be joining the FTTC trial shortly as my exchange is due to be upgraded.
At present I am using a DG834G v4 in modem only modem mode (DGTeam Firmware) linking to my Linksys WRT54GS with DD-WRT firmware (it supports PPPoE), I do this primarily for kaid support, and QoS.
I understand FTTC uses a VDSL2+ and Plus net supply a modem router (modified Thomson TG585 IIRC).
Is is possible to configure the Thomson router so that it acts as a Modem only, similar to how my DG834 acts or are there any other methods I could use so that I can benefit from the higher throughput of Fibre (10 times faster in my case), whilst also having the benefit of using my existing Linksys Router?
Many thanks,
Chris.  
P.S. Wasn't sure which forum was best to post this in, but as the query relates to FTTC thought I would post in this forum!
7 REPLIES 7
knowdice
Rising Star

Re: Using existing Router

The presentation from BT is Ethernet, so you can just connect your WRT54GS straight to that and use PPPoE to authenticate.
You don't have to use the Thomson at all .
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes, just to give you the official nod you're fine to do that, as knowdice mentions it's Ethernet so that should be no issue.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chrisoldinho
Grafter

Absolutely fantastic, thanks for the replies!
Can't wait now! Smiley
leng
Grafter

Sorry if I'm beating a dead donkey, but I just want to confirm that the only requirement for the router is that it support PPPoE?
I ask because the supplied router is wireless 'g' which previous experience with netgear kit has shown does not really work well in my 3-story townhouse, whereas my current netgear RangeMax works though most of the premises.
I'm actually being hooked up next tuesday so I will use the supplied router until I am sure everything is working OK (I can live without wireless for a couple of weeks) but if all goes well I was thinking of upgrading to a NETGEAR ProSafe 8-port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G Router with a WN802T Wireless access point.
Thanks,
knowdice
Rising Star

Yes AFAIK PPPoE on the WAN interface (Ethernet) is all you need.
With regard to your proposed equipment I don't know the Netgear Prosafe but certainly from the brief specs looks like it will work.
You could of course use your existing RangeMax router as a wireless access point connected off the Prosafe...
leng
Grafter

You could of course use your existing RangeMax router as a wireless access point connected off the Prosafe...

Yes, I wasn't sure if that was possible.  I remember having a lot of grief trying to persuade one router to act as a simple switch some time in the past.  However, it is certainly worth trying before I fork out the extra cash.  Thanks for the suggestion.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I remember having a lot of grief trying to persuade one router to act as a simple switch some time in the past

Let us know if you have any difficulties, I've run my home network in this way for years so I should be able to help.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team