cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload rate

phil4
Grafter

Upload rate

Hi, My understanding of FTTC is that it can either run at upto 10Mbit upload, or be capped at 2Mbit.
When starting the FTTC trial, does anyone know whether the decision above is decided at order by Plusnet, by what the engineer does, or afterwards through plusnet settings?
I'm just wondering, because I'd love to make the most of the 7Mb upload I might be able to get, and if it's something that needs requesting before install, I'd rather know now.
Thanks
Phil
6 REPLIES 6
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: Upload rate

Hi Phil,
I believe the decision is made at the time of order by Plusnet, and implemented by BT. I don't think the engineer has anything to do with it - and that the service can be regraded without an engineer visit. The regrade is a change that is charged by BT.
The FTTC trial seems to have been run with upload speeds of 10Mbps - almost all reports in this forum have shown 6-8Mbps (I say "almost", but I doubt I could find a post at 2Mbps). It is especially obvious to see when people are waiting to get their Profile values lifted, as the uplink is often faster than the downlink.
I know of one person (from another forum) who did go on the trial at 2Mbps, but he reported that Plusnet did regrade it when he complained.
And of course, Bob did point us over here for this very reason.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
phil4
Grafter

Thanks for the info, I requested 10Mb when I created the ticket to join the FTTC trial.
As you guessed, I'm quite hoping it's 10Mb.  I hope the bod who picked up the ticket read that bit, or it's standard install.
Fingers crossed.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

All current trial connections are at 10Mbs up. It's only when the new packages are officially announced that the upload speed of 2Mbs will be used, but only for new connections from that time only. All triallists will remain as is unless they switch to one of the new fibre packages when PN may* reduce the upload speed to match the product.
* my guess, not actually mentioned anywhere.
tomm
Grafter

Whilst from what I've seen Plusnet will order 10Mb upload to triallists I don't think you automatically get it. I think it depends on the downstream speeds quoted as well?
I think if you are sub 15Mb downstream then Openreach automatically limit the upstream to 2Mb. That has happened to a colleague of mine (with Plusnet) who last time I checked was achieving ~13Mb downstream (and 2Mb upstream) due to distance from the cab. I don't know the technical in's and out's but I would hazard a guess this is akin to ADSL2+ where the increased upstream can, in theory, affect the downstream speed/stability when things get more marginal.
Reflected also by the openreach doc here http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/fibretothecabinet/fttc/downloads... where it shows 4 product variants.
Tom.
phil4
Grafter

Quote from: tomm
Reflected also by the openreach doc here http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/fibretothecabinet/fttc/downloads... where it shows 4 product variants.
Tom.

I've not seen anyone offering the 40/15 yet.... wonder if that'll be aimed at businesses.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

When I had FTTC installed the Openreach engineer June last year, he said they may be trialling a faster 15Mbs upload speed soon and said my connection could handle the faster speed. I suspect this has either been shelved or planned for a later time. I also agree it is probably aimed at businesses as most home users would never need that speed.