cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update on Fibre trial...all ok, in general

coolj
Dabbler

Update on Fibre trial...all ok, in general

So, had the FTTP trial in for a while now.  I did orignally post my installation experience and this is a follow up.
I've had no problems with connectivity.  Technically, the only issue I seem to have at the moment is with wireless - the provided router just doesn't seem to be as stable as my older Netgear router.  I'm struggling maintaining a wireless connection even when only a couple of feet away.  I haven't narrowed the cause down but it may be something related to mixing "G" and "N" cards on the network, or possibly local interference.  I'll keep plugging away at this one for a little while longer.  RECOMMENDATION: please provide routers that have a proper antenna: reception at the furthest point of the house is much weaker without this (compared to my older Netgear and Apple Extreme)
Problems experienced have all been with Plusnet unfortunately.  Two things:
1) I was charged for being on the trial.  This has been refunded and I believe won't be charged subsequently, but really should not have happened.
2) In the process of sorting out the refund the engineer "spotted and fixed another problem".  That problem turned out to be resetting my connection speeds to FTTC rates, so yet another call into Plusnet to sort this out.  Again, SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED!
This on top of getting set to wrong connection speed originally. 
So my current views are:
1) BT service excellent
2) Connectivity excellent
3) Kit - not so sure....judgement reserved, still problem solving
4) Plusnet - weak point in the whole process.  Key things to think about here are (a) ensuring that the connectivity settings are promptly set for customers; (b) settings are made correctly - that is, being very clear in customer accounts about FTTP and FTTC products purchased, particularly for engineers who may "decide to do us a favour"; (c) ensuring processes are joined up - billing for example.
(4) sounds a bit negative, but these things happen and was sorted with a couple of phone calls.  But hopefully you can process the feedback to update that side of it as it's been the weakest part so far.
Regards
Andrew
4 REPLIES 4
extant
Dabbler

Re: Update on Fibre trial...all ok, in general

I would agree that this should not be necessary, but..
Might something like this: TP-Link TL-WA701ND 150Mbps Wireless Lite N Access Point
solve your wireless problem?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Andrew,
Can you confirm that the router you have is the WNR3500? That router has 3 antennas inside so there's no need for any others. The billing issue isn't normal for this type of process but just an error in this case. Having the correct profile set is something that we're trying to apply automatically but at the moment as it is a manual process it can sometimes be delayed. With the wireless connectivity you could try something like inSSIDer which will enable you to identify the best channel to use, as you may be encountering interference, as you say.
Jojo Smiley
coolj
Dabbler

It is the WNR3500 - it may have 3 internal antennas but I can only comment on my experience: signal is not as strong in different parts of my house compared to my previous router, also a Netgear.  I now have it set on the same channel as my previous router so will be seeing how it gets on: there appears to be a couple of BT Home Hubs in the vicinity and they seem to kick out a very strong signal in my experience.  inSSIDer unfortunately runs on MS platforms and I only have Mac - good idea though.
Andrew
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: coolj
inSSIDer unfortunately runs on MS platforms and I only have Mac - good idea though.

Does this work?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵