cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trimming Fibre Cable

L3nny
Hooked

Trimming Fibre Cable

I've re-arranged my room and want to move the Openreach box closer to the hole it enters the house so I need to make the cable shorter. 

Does anyone know how to do this? Can I refit the same connector or do I need a new one?

I am assuming this would have a positive impact on the connection speed as it's reducing the amount of bends in the cable.

Thanks Smiley

5 REPLIES 5
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Trimming Fibre Cable

Are you on a FTTP service - fibre to the premises? I'm not sure if you are talking about a fibre optic cable here, if it is you can't shorten it, don't even try. Is it coming from your telephone socket if so it's a normal copper wire cable into a router which can be shortened but you need a tool to attach a new connector. Shortening it will probably make no difference to your connection. 

L3nny
Hooked

Definitely FTTP, it's the cable that was installed by the engineer. He trimmed it to the correct length so I'm not sure why it couldn't be trimmed further.

I'll post some pictures when I get home.

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

He probably didn't trim the (connectorised) end which plugs into the ONT though!  Are you sure it wasn't the end which is spliced to the incoming fibre at the CSP that he trimmed?

In my case I asked the BTOR installer to leave the excess internal fibre coiled up (approx. 25m under the floorboards) in case I wanted to move the ONT later.  So if you have a wooden floor, that might be your solution!

Hobo
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

@RobPN wrote:

He probably didn't trim the (connectorised) end which plugs into the ONT though!  Are you sure it wasn't the end which is spliced to the incoming fibre at the CSP that he trimmed?

Agreed, when mine was installed the plug at the ONT was already made up and the cable was run from the ONT externally to the CSP where is was cut to length and spliced, I doubt that a fibre optic cable can be shortened at the plug end without special tools..

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48