Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This BT modem they supply.

flaminmoses
Grafter

This BT modem they supply.

How many connections does it have?Huh
basically i want to use a direct cable for my ps3 and one for my wireless asus  RT-N56U router.

is this possible or have i go to go via the asus using the wired option to the ps3?
10 REPLIES 10
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: This BT modem they supply.

Basically, the BT Openreach device is configured as a modem, as such you must use your router for connection to the PS3 (and any other devices).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Just the one ethernet connection, but as walker23 mentions you can use this to connect your router to it, so I'd advise doing that then connecting up the PS3 to the Asus router.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
flaminmoses
Grafter

ok thanks.
SpecialD
Rising Star

As mentioned above you'd connect to the router, but why do that when you could use it wirelessly? - I don't really think you'd run anything that requires a cabled connection on the PS3 - especially since the routers run up to 150Mbps wirelessly.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

Just the one ethernet connection, but as walker23 mentions you can use this to connect your router to it, so I'd advise doing that then connecting up the PS3 to the Asus router.

Well actually two Ethernet connections, but we don't talk about the other one, do we?!
SpecialD
Rising Star

Quote from: KevinG
Well actually two Ethernet connections, but we don't talk about the other one, do we?!

Don't look under the sticker!!!!    Cheesy
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My sticker has ... er ... moved  Smiley
flaminmoses
Grafter

Quote from: Spesh
As mentioned above you'd connect to the router, but why do that when you could use it wirelessly? - I don't really think you'd run anything that requires a cabled connection on the PS3 - especially since the routers run up to 150Mbps wirelessly.

Because wireless will not be the same as wired for obvious reasons
Which in turn could give me worse ping for online gameing
kirk
Grafter

Here are two images of a FTTC connection. The first Image shows a router connected to the modem via PPPoE, allowing more then one device connect to the BT openreach modem.

The second image shows a computer connect to the BT openreach modem without a router.
SpecialD
Rising Star

Quote from: flaminmoses
Quote from: Spesh

Because wireless will not be the same as wired for obvious reasons
Which in turn could give me worse ping for online gameing

If you have an internet connection that runs at 37Mbps (like a fibre one does) then wired will be pretty much 37 maybe 36 Mbps (depends what else is connected).
Wirelessly (witha router that runs 150Mbps) Then again you'd get nearly that up close, and then less as you move away and more interference / walls etc get in the way.
I get 20Mbps up a floor and on the opposite side of my house, which really won't make much difference to your pings.
just remember that you can play these games quite sufficiently on ADSL running at less than 6Mbps.
The other thing is of course that a 'ping' is a two-way street and is affected by your upload speed which for nearly everyone is a maximum of 2Mbps! so the difference in download between 30Mbps and 20Mbps is pretty much negligable - so if that's the only thing stopping you going wireless and making you want to string Cat5 all round the house then it could be worth bearing in mind?  Smiley