cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tearing Hair Out

andmac310

Tearing Hair Out

Hi, I was with Plusnet until 12 months ago, until I moved to John Lewis Broadband. (run by Plusnet - and my IP says I am on Plusnet).

Yesterday we went live with FTTP.  Spoke to 3 different JL/Plusnet advisors - Can I get FTTP? Yes I can, no I can't, don't know so I'll hang up. Then got an Email from JLB to definitely say no, I would have to go back to Plusnet.

Today contacted Plusnet webchat as new customer  to be told " sorry we only do FTTC, can't help.

How do I get to speak to someone who knows what I am talking about and who can help before I get the dog to wee in the hole where the cable is. 

9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Tearing Hair Out

as FTTP is only available as a trial on Plusnet - not John Lewis - I think you would need to transfer your ADSL back to Plusnet first

andmac310

Thanks for the reply. I really want some sort of reasonable assurance that I will get on the trial, and it won't end  before any change over is complete. I don't want to enter into a contract for 12 months or longer to find that I am stuck on the current setup

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@andmac310 wrote:

... I don't want to enter into a contract for 12 months or longer to find that I am stuck on the current setup

The trick is to not enter a contract!  Wink

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

I'm confused (again!!!)

If your FTTP connection is "live" then you are receiving a pure fibre service. Are you sure this is what you've got? What does the DSL Checker say is available for your phone line (for pure fibre is should say WBC FTTP available).

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Is it possible you've been confused by the advertising which implies FTTC is "fibre"

Brian

andmac310

Sorry for your confusion.  I do know the differences between FTTP and FTTC - half of our village has had FTTC for some time. The rest of us who are directly connected to the exchange, have been waiting for FTTP - when I said we went live yesterday, I was referring to our community not to my individual line, hence me enquiring from the various providers if and how I can get it.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

you can transfer to Plusnet with no annual contract https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/ but you would need to call to find out if you can avoid the £50 activation charge

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Now I understand!!!

As you will have discovered there are very few ISP's who offer a consumer FTTP service. BT, Zen Internet and Andrews & Arnold are the ones I know - there could be a couple of others.

PlusNet offer a service based on their existing FTTC product / prices as a "trial" but only to existing customers. As it's a trial product there is little detail on the website and few staff are trained up on it. There are also no guarantees - the trial could end at any time!!!

If you read other posts on this forum  I'm sure you'll find one or two where people are / were in the same boat as you - they need to transfer to PlusNet internet and then apply for the trial. PlusNet have never said no to this course of action - at least not on the forum (to the best of my knowledge).

The main thing to watch is your phone line. If you plan to keep it after getting FTTP then no problem. If you plan to give it up then there are a couple of things to know. PlusNet have a surcharge of £2.50 for their internet product if you don't take their phone service. If you can leave your line with your existing provider when you move the internet service then you would simply cancel it (at a cost I believe) once you have FTTP. If you have to move the line to PlusNet you could well be looking at a contract where you end up keeping the line for 12 months.

Brian

andmac310

Well, I tried and tried.  Rang Plusnet to start as new customer, the advertised offer price of £18.99 for Unlimited BB miraculously increased to £24.99 plus a further £4 for evening and weekend calls, because I live in a High Cost Area.  This price bears no relation whatsoever to the Plusnet Price Guide for Residential Products - this quotes 

Broadband & Phone on a 12 month minimum term contract £13.51 for the first 12 months, £17.49 thereafter

Can't take anymore - just signed up for FTTP with BT, they are coming to install in 2 weeks.

Many thanks to all who tried to help

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you didn't decide to join Plusnet because of the high cost of the market 1 area.

Just to add to the other comments, if you sign up to the Unlimited broadband, once that's activated you'll be able to place an order for FTTP and that won't be subject to the market 1 pricing.

For FTTP, the pricing for the two packages are;

Either Unlimited Fibre £14.99 per month + line rental, or Unlimited Fibre Extra £19.99 per month + line rental.

If you initially sign up on a no-contract basis then you'll be free to drop the home phone aspect with no cancellation fees, and all you'll pay is a £2.50 surcharge per month on top of the fibre package.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet