cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stability of FTTC ?

shoecake

Stability of FTTC ?

I am currently a PlusNet Pro customer and run my business from home. As most of it is internet based, a stable broaband connection is very important to me.
FTTC has just become available in my area (Beauchief) and I am, thinking of joining the trial to get better speeds, the only thing stopping me is the worry that my connection could go down for long periods. Can someone let me know how stable this technology is now. If there is a fault is it likely to get fixed the same day or could I be looking at days wihout service?
2 REPLIES 2
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Re: Stability of FTTC ?

Hi,
Generally the performance and stability has been pretty good, speeds do tend to fluctuate more than on ADSL but I think that's expected because the higher the speed you have the more it will drop off when contention kicks in somewhere.
However, we have had a few faults and because everything is new these are taking a lot longer to fix than on ADSL. We've had 2 faults that have been ongoing for several weeks and a few that lasted several days. It's for reasons like this that we are very much considering this a trial right now. In the main the performance has been very good but things can and do go wrong and take longer to fix. If you are relying on the broadband for your business then I would be very wary of taking part personally because if there is a problem I don't know how long it would take to fix.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
shoecake

Re: Stability of FTTC ?

Thanks Dave, you have answered my question very clearly. I think I will stick with my slowish ADSL until the trial is over and take a look at it then.