Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Slower than expected

Colin33

Speed Slower than expected

Hi
Can anyone help please.
The 80/20 trial was switched on  Friday 1/6/12.  I reset the modem and router.
Before the trial I was getting 36mbps download and 1.6mbps upload.
Now after over 10 days BTspeedtester says my ip profile for download is still the same as before the trial, 37.23mbps but the upload has increased from 2 to 20mbps.
I have tested the speeds and my download is the same as before about 35 to 36mbps but my upload speed is now 6.5 mbps.
BT Infinity Broadband checker estimates that I should be getting 49.9 mbps Download and 10.9mbps upload.
There seems to be no download increase on the trial and only a 5mbps upload increase is this normal?
Other people on the trial seem to get a lot higher speed increase, is there a problem?
3 REPLIES 3
pullenuk
Grafter

Re: Speed Slower than expected

Try rebooting both the router and modem, see if it makes a different. But don't do it too often as it can bring speeds down as it suggests a fault. I had to do it once when my download speed didn't change which afterwards it setback up 15mbs lol.
Colin33

I have rebooted the router and modem twice, once when the trial started and the second time two days ago but it has made no difference.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Colin33
Now after over 10 days BTspeedtester says my ip profile for download is still the same as before the trial, 37.23mbps but the upload has increased from 2 to 20mbps.

Thing is, if your IP profile was 37.23 before the trial, you weren't on the maximum possible for a 40Mbps service, which is 38.72. If you're not already on the maximum for 40Mbps, you won't normally see any improvement from 80Mbps. The upload profile just reports the maximum possible for the service, which at least shows you were upgraded to 80/20.