Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Issues on FTTP 330Mbps?

Smash2u
Dabbler

Speed Issues on FTTP 330Mbps?

Hello,
Just wanted to check-in to see if anyone is having speed issues on the 330Mbps trial today? FYI - I'm on the Canary Wharf exchange.
I typically reach 160 to 170 Mbps but today I can barely hit 19Mbps.  I've gone through the usual steps of restarting the router and the fibre modem, using a wired connection on a Gigabit router (Airport Extreme) etc.  Please see attached screenshot from BT Wholesale's Performance Test (using further diagnostics).
Can somebody please help me? Ticket/Question #: 83203287
Best,
Smash2u
P.S. Plusnet's Customer Service - Technical Support has been *wonderful* today.  First, I get told by the rep that as far as he is aware, Plusnet only provides FTTC.  I had to educate him on the FTTP trials and pointed him to this forum.  At the end of that call, he agrees to raise a ticket to have the FTTP team look at this when they return on Monday (a good result).  However, 5 minutes later, I get a call from John who say his manager told him he cannot raise a ticket for this issue.  Apparently, as part of the trial service, I need to login and do this on my own (this was certainly news to me and seems counterintuitive).
44 REPLIES 44
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Speed Issues on FTTP 330Mbps?

Hi
What does it say here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed for Current Line Speed?
Have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting from your router?
Smash2u
Dabbler

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your reply.  My current line speed shows as 20Mbps.  However, I can confirm that even when I was getting the 160-170Mbps, it used to show me 20Mbps.  In fact, in the 18 months that I've been on the 330Mbps trial, it has never shown that as the Current Line Speed.
And yes, I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting with the router.
Any other thoughts?
Best,
Smash2u
AndyH
Grafter

Hi
Sorry, I am running out of ideas...
Do you have any neighbours or other people in your apartment building you can ask if their speeds are also a lot lower?
You could try the next test on the BT Speed Tester (is at the bottom of the Further Diagnostics page), but there have been some issues with that and I am not 100% sure if they are fixed.
Only other thing I can think of is trying a PPP connection directly to the Openreach ONT (http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-setting-up-a-pppoe-dialler-for-windows-xp/ ) - never tried this myself so not 100% sure it will work. This would rule out any problems with your Airport Extreme if you try it and get normal speeds.
AndyH
Grafter

Hi Smash2u
Did you manage to make any progress with this?
Smash2u
Dabbler

Hi Andy,
Sorry for the delayed response.  Unfortunately, none of those steps faired any better.  Connecting it to the ONT directly, still gives me 19Mbps.
I'm hoping someone from PN is able to look at it today.
Thanks again,
Smash2u
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
Sorry about this, we've got a temporary problem applying the 330Mbps profile, I've changed you over to 100Mbps for the time being and I'm having a look into how we can fix the 330Mbps profile.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Smash2u
Dabbler

Thank you dave.  Please keep me posted.
zoggie
Dabbler

I have been having the same issue over the last 2 days. I am on the 330/30 trial and can't get over 20Mbs download speed. Dave could you please reset/ change mine too until the issue has been sorted. I have just upgraded last Friday to a Netgear Nighthawk 7000 AC router and dongles and it was a real eye opener the difference in routers Range and Speed wise for 24 hours until this started.
Thomas Funke
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Thomas,
I've change you over to 100Mbps for now, I'll check the others on 300Mbps this afternoon and change them over to 100Mbps if they need doing. You might need to disconnect/reconnect for the change to take effect.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
zoggie
Dabbler

thank you Dave.
I am currently at work but will do when I get home.
Thomas
digitalfixer
Grafter

Hi Dave,  I was running OK at 330Mb when this post started but noticed tonight that things seemed to be running slow and on running some speed tests found that download is stuck around 18-19mb but upload is still OK at 30mb.  Can you look into my settings as well please.
Thanks
Gary
digitalfixer
Grafter

Dave,  I raised ticket 83476731 on Friday and got some strange response indicating a possible line issue earlier this afternoon.  However, testing the line tonight and I see the download speed has risen to 80-90mb with upload steady at 31mb so not sure if something has been changed and this is what should be expected or if there is still a problem. 
Based on your earlier responses to others its suggests you were changing line profiles so the 80-90mb may be correct. Interested to know if this would be permanent or if it is intended to put the line back to 330/30?
Gary
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yeah, I'm putting everyone on 300Mbps onto 100Mbps as we've got a problem with the 300Mbps profile, don't have an ETA yet unfortunately.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
itsonlymoney

Hi.
For the past week at least I have been experiencing sub 20Mbps speeds.  Only a couple of weeks ago I was getting a steady 270Mbps.  I've just upgraded to unlimited and now this happens  Smiley
Any idea when it will be restored?
Kind regards
Paul