cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Feedback

obiwan

Speed Feedback

Trial FTTC was fitted last Friday. Cabinet is 170 metres away via the road.
Speed was still 6mb to start with but has gradually increased now averaging 25mb on www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

interestingly depending on what tester I use the speed changes massively.
http://speedtester.bt.com/
is currently giving 33.275mb down and 8.259mb up.
But Speedtest.net only gives 14mb down and 5mb up

14 REPLIES 14
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Speed Feedback

You will find wide variations in results from the various speed testers. The only reliable one is BT's.
I have had anything from a few Mbs to over 100Mbs on an FTTC connection - the plusnet one seems to give the most variations. I think small hiccups in sending/receiving the  test data on FTTC can yield more wildly varying results that a normal ADSL connection.
What is you plusnet profile set to... it should be 20Mb for FTTC  - see https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
obiwan

Estimated line speed:
7Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-02-11 22:25:48
Current line speed:
37 Mb

Still listed as 7mb, but it hasn't been updated since the FTTC was fitted.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It won't be as the test assumes you are on normal ADSL. The 37Mb profile is correct for FTTC (PN are using new profiles now).
daveg6hni
Grafter

My FTTCwas installed last Tuesday the 8th Feb and all last week I was consistently getting 33/34Mb/s. Smiley
However, I've checked it several times this week and the best I'm getting is 28Mb/s  Sad
I've just run the BT test link above and it is telling me that "my IP Profile for your line is -29111 Kbps" Huh
So does that mean I won't get 34Mb/s any more Huh
Dave.
daveg6hni
Grafter

So my best speed was...

but this week...

jch
Dabbler

My FTTC was installed on 15 Feb and it started with, I think, a profile speed of 40Mbps downlink and 10Mbps uplink.  Later that day I could easily manage 30Mb download and I had ping times to google of around 10ms.  The cabinet is a couple of hundred yards from the house.
Today, right now, it's not so good  Sad
ttp://speedtester.bt.com/ says my profile download is 23637kbps although my upload profile is still 10Mbps and a ping takes 37ms.
It's only been 4 days so I don't expect things to have stablised yet.
The good news though is that my DGFV338 connects.  It's a little slow (or I'm impatient) but it does connect.
Is it possible to interrogate the modem to see what its link speeds are?  The various Netgear modem/routers I've had (including this one) will all tell me what the uplink and downlink speeds are, as wll as things like line attenuation and whatnot.  It would be nice to see the same thing from the modem ...
The_10th
Grafter

My profile is 37k and been getting typically 34.5k but around 00:20hrs the speed plummetted to 3.6kbps even with btspeedtester. I assume it's due to the 'free allowance' and FTTC users using a fair amount of that?
daveg6hni
Grafter

Week 1
======
Dowmload Speed > 33Mb/s              Upload Speed > 8Mb/s  Smiley
Week 2
======
Download Speed = 26Mb/s                Upload Speed > 8Mb/s  Huh
Week 3
======
Download speed = 27Mb/s                 Upload Speed < 2Mb/s  Sad
Not sure if this is the way it goes, obviously I'm still very happy with the improvement over Std ADSL, but having tasted 35Mb/s for most of the first week, I now desire more of the same if possible  Sad
Dave.
knowdice
Rising Star

Quote from: jch
Is it possible to interrogate the modem to see what its link speeds are?  The various Netgear modem/routers I've had (including this one) will all tell me what the uplink and downlink speeds are, as wll as things like line attenuation and whatnot.   It would be nice to see the same thing from the modem ...

Unfortunately not, although as you say it would be very handy...
jedi98
Grafter

@daveg6hni - have you power cycled the openreach box? I had a couple of occasions when the speed degraded and I either needed to drop PPPoE & reconnect or to reset the VDSL modem. Once the line settled this does not seem to have happened again. Also is this wired or wireless speed?
daveg6hni
Grafter

Hi Jedi98,
I did power off & on both BT Modem and Netgear Router yesterday, after which the upload speed also dropper !
That was the first time I had cycled the power since the 1st day.
I am only using wired connections at present as both boxes are sitting in our server cabinet at work.
But if my BT profile is now only 29.1Mbs, I can't see how I can ever get back to 35Mbs Huh
Dave.
daveg6hni
Grafter

Just to prove it wasn't the connection I just power cycled both bits and am now getting
Down = 30Mbs
Up    = 7.8Mbs
So maybe when I cyled the power yesterday it did not come back on at full capacity, it's still down on week 1, but now better than week 2 Smiley
Dave.
jedi98
Grafter

Also I found that QoS settings can badly affect the speed tests (mybroadbandspeed.co.uk) at least with my router.
jch
Dabbler

It's a week ago today that my FTTC was installed and, as you can see from the earlier post, the profile downlink speed had dropped to 23637Kbps four by the 19th: the BT engineer's box showed an initial connection of 40000Kbps.  On the 15th as well I was getting 10ms ping time to google.com, but now I'm getting 34ms consistently, even at quiet times of the day (ie now).  Most of that ping delay seems to be in the first hop, getting to lo0-central.pcl.ag07.plus.net so I'm not sure if it's a reflection of that router or of the reduced downlink profile.
I power cycled the openreach modem this morning and it's still the same.  It started out much better than this and while I know that the 10 days aren't up yet, not quite anyway, should I expect the profile speed to go up again?  Can I do anything about it?
The uplink profile speed is still 10000Kbps which is nice, though