So what speed should I be getting on FTTP

FIXED
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: So what speed should I be getting on FTTP

@bmc wrote:

... as the Trial had ended ...

The jury's been out almost two years now and still no verdict!

Although I'm happy to stay on 80/20 for the foreseeable considering the price us FTTP 'guinea-pigs' are paying.  Wink

Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Don't mind paying a bit more as one of those 'guinea pigs' Rob but as said, I was told it was not availble to me. 😐

Are you actually getting those sort of speeds?

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Minivanman 

You have to try a wired test - it's the first thing PlusNet support ask a customer to do before they consider anything else.

There are threads running on the Forum regarding poor WiFi  -see the following for example.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/WiFi-degrades-over-time/td-p/1745562

If you don't need or use a land line then there's no cheaper FTTP for those who are on the PlusNet FTTP Trial.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

Are you actually getting those sort of speeds?

Yes, probably 24/7.

Below is a test from a few mins ago with all downloading stopped, (but lots of browser windows open)

Capture_AAISP_speed.PNG

Minivanman
Legend

That's crazy, which means as was suggested, somebody at the other end of the plusnet phone is not 'ahem' fully informed.

Watch this space as they say. 

Thanks Rob.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
bmc
Hero

@Minivanman 

Without doubt PlusNet phone staff do not "know" about the FTTP Trial as they've not been trained up on it nor does it show up on their systems. Ignore anything said by them - you need to get a FTTP trained bod answering on here.

You must do a wired test - you won't get an "engineer" out unless a problem is showing with the connection. If it's a WiFi issue then that's not a concern of the OpenReach engineer - they only consider the incoming speed.

Brian

Minivanman
Legend

@bmc 

You are probably right, but I'm not sure I can face another half an hour on the phone waiting for an answer. As it stands they have 'raised a ticket' and will get back to me "after 72 hours".

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciated.  🙂  

Herman Melville
bmc
Hero

@Minivanman 

This is my speed - nothing running other than browser windows.

Brian

RobPN
Seasoned Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

@bmc 

You are probably right, but I'm not sure I can face another half an hour on the phone waiting for an answer.

@Minivanman 

The point being made is "You don't phone, but use this forum"    Cheesy

bmc
Hero

@Minivanman 

I may be banging my head against a brick wall here but you must run a wired speed test.

If the connection is fine and the problem is with your WiFi then there is little PlusNet Support can do to help you other than point you to www.plus.net/help/broadband/getting-the-best-wifi-signal/

PlusNet is a "value" ISP and provide a "value" router. It works for most people (probably or otherwise they would change) but some do have problems. Other than fiddling with WiFi settings the usual suggestion is to buy yourself a better router. A BT HH6 can be obtained quite cheaply on eBay (though make sure you get the FTTP version) or you could look around and see what you fancy.

Brian

Minivanman
Legend

@RobPN 

Using that speed test link, my next door neighbour who is also on FTTP with plusnet is getting more or less the same results as myself and they do not use wifi (it's a tech to far for them) instead their laptop connects directly into their router. 

No doubt none of this will be a real issue once we can visit our families and actually talk to them face to face rather than video calls. Mind you, no doubt the grandchildren will still video call us even if they are in the next room or sat next to us on the settee.

Second wave millennials eh. 

Herman Melville
bmc
Hero

@Minivanman 

So it's possible a network issue with the FTTP.

Our friendly wizard @Gandalf  appears so I've tagged this post to see if he picks up on it.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Fix

Welcome back @Minivanman Cheesy

I'm sorry for the confusion about whether you're on 40/10 or 80/20. I can confirm you're provisioned on 40/10 FTTP (Unlimited Fibre) and I'm afraid that while on the FTTP trial we can no longer change your product as the workarounds we use to do now cause complications in our systems. Sad

At a speed of 36mbps that should be sufficient for video calling so I'd recommend going through some wireless troubleshooting steps Here which should hopefully help in improving the performance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Minivanman
Legend

@Gandalf 

Thanks for that.

As somebody mentioned the trial has now ended, so perhaps you can explain what it is I would need to do or perhaps pay in order to 'change my product'. Would it be a case of having to log out as it were and either re-subscribe to plusnet or transfer to another subscriber and hopefully without incurring any sort of penalty.

This might all be academic of course and I will go through those troubleshooting steps suggested. As said earlier I think, video links on a one to one basis with the family are fine, but video conferencing with a recently formed local community group is virtually next to impossible even when not on wifi.

Regards.

Herman Melville
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@Minivanman wrote:

@Gandalf 

Thanks for that.

As somebody mentioned the trial has now ended, so perhaps you can explain what it is I would need to do or perhaps pay in order to 'change my product'. 

Jesus H Christ.

Try paying attention to what people are telling you! Gandalf already told you in the post directly above yours that you marked as a fix that they can't process a product change

@Gandalf wrote:

I'm sorry for the confusion about whether you're on 40/10 or 80/20. I can confirm you're provisioned on 40/10 FTTP (Unlimited Fibre) and I'm afraid that while on the FTTP trial we can no longer change your product as the workarounds we use to do now cause complications in our systems. 

Poor Brian has also had to point out multiple times frontline CS no nothing of FTTP and you need to do speed tests wired too....