cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed on Bradwell Common exchange Milton Keynes

keeps54
Grafter

Slow speed on Bradwell Common exchange Milton Keynes

Hi, I'm getting slow speeds tonight in MK on FTTP. Should have a legacy 100Mb connection from one of the original trials. Was downloading something and thought it was slow so did a speedtest. Used to get about 92Mb butthe test showed only 21Mb. Upload unaffected at 15Mb.

Rebooted router and ONT and now I'm only getting 7.5Mb download.

Anyone else having issues in this area?

17 REPLIES 17
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Slow speed on Bradwell Common exchange Milton Keynes

No, just ran a speed test and got 75Mbps which is standard on my 80/20 FTTP connection on Bradwell Abbey Exchange.

Are the Plusnet Line Speed and BTW IP Profile still set correctly?

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

The Plusnet profile isn't actually set as it's on the legacy 100Mbps connection.

I can't see any obvious problems on our side though. Still provisioned on 100/15.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
keeps54
Grafter

As HarryB says, plusnet profile says current line speed 'Not set'

The BT speed test confirmed download speed as 7.5Mb and said upload speed about 1.3Mb. Speedtest.net now says 7.5 down and has dropped to 5 up.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Log a fault if you haven't already https://faults.plus.net

I had an issue a couple of years ago where my download speed dropped to less than 5Mbps and slowly came back over the course of 24 to 36 hours. It also affected multiple FTTP users across ISPs so I would check out the BT Community forums to see if others are reporting it there. The issue turned out to be a faulty card in the exchange hence the BT users and myself had the same issue but took 3 months to get a fix Sad 

keeps54
Grafter

Raised a fault ticket on Sunday which hasn't had an update in 48 hours now. Supposedly tests are being performed but I've heard nothing and the speedtests results are unchanged.

The fault raising process was heavily biased to checking my phone line which was pointless. It asked me to listen to the telephone line dial tone but my fibre connection doesn't use the telephone line, it asked me to try a different router but I only have spare adsl routers, not PPPoE and it asked me to change microfilter but I don't have any. I guess that may be because that's the service I'm still paying for as I'm on the fttp trial.

keeps54
Grafter

72 hours now, still no response and still no change. Speedtests from 3 different sites all report the same 7.5Mb download.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Just looking into this now.

With regards to the fault checker there's no path for FTTP trial customers so you'll be asked the standard questions.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
keeps54
Grafter

Hi, I posted the below on my fault ticket after the engineer visited a week ago but there's been no response, can someone reply please?

The engineer checked the fibre light signal which was fine and also replaced the ONT but none of it made any difference. It seems very strange that the speed switches between 7.5Mb and 22Mb between some reboots of the router and no other speeds but the router is now being suspected of being the problem as no fault can be found elsewhere.

Again strangely, even when the download speed is maxing out at 7.5Mb the upload speed remains at 16Mb.

The router I have is a Netgear WNR3500v2 with gigabit connections that was supplied by Plusnet at the start of the trial. I've been unable to swap this out during testing as it's the only router I have that is capable of PPPoE, all my other routers were for ADSL.

The engineer has suggested the next step must be to try a different router, will this be supplied by Plusnet like my original?

As an alternative option, when the FTTP was originally installed the installation engineer was able to use a PC to create the PPPoE connection directly to the ONT. I can't remember (it was 6 years ago) if this was because the Netgear router hadn't yet arrived or simply wasn't configured yet. The engineer visiting today suggested this requires knowledge of the IP address of the ONT so it can be changed from DHCP mode to PPPoE mode? Would you have instructions how to use a PC directly connected to the ONT to test as this would eliminate the router and avoid the need to try another router to see if that is the cause of the fault. If I get full speed then clearly the router is the issue and it can then be replaced.
Regards, Paul

SpendLessTime
Hero

Hi Paul

As far as I can remember, you don't do anything to the ONT except for connecting the ethernet cable from the PC to the ONT.

The dialer setup is shown here https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Fibre-help-How-to-set-up-a-PPPoE-dialler-in-Vista-Windows-7/ba...

keeps54
Grafter

@SpendLessTime Thanks very much. I'll give that a go tonight and at least that will eliminate the router to isolate the issue.

If I get full speed at least I'll know I need the router replaced.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@keeps54

Good luck with the dialler.

Note that it can sometimes take a couple of goes to get it set up cleanly, but it will threw a cryptic error message if it goes wrong. Just clear down,  reboot and try again. I would definitely print off the webpage with the instructions or save to PDF (I don't the first time I tried it)

keeps54
Grafter

Hi all, I'm reaching out the the local community to see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.

I successfully created a PPPoE connection directly to my ONT but I still only got 22Mb download speed when I should be getting near 100Mb as I'm still on a legacy 100/15 provisioned service. As above, a BT engineer has visited and checked the light level of the fibre, which was satisfactory, and replaced the ONT and power supply.

My upload speed is as provisioned, I actually get 16Mb to speedtest.net. The download speedtests have been similar to three separate speedtest sites using differnet computers, cables and now even bypassing the router.

It must be the physical connection or a software limit somewhere, correct?

Thanks for any advice, Paul

SpendLessTime
Hero

@keeps54

Have you tried a TAP3 test? This is the BTW speed test where you change the router/dialler to use a specific username and it bypasses Plusnet's network totally. (there is no password ) So it will show if it's Plusnet at fault or not.

http://test3.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/tap3.do

keeps54
Grafter

@SpendLessTime Will give that a go tonight, thanks