cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speed following fibre activation

chrisoldinho
Grafter

Slow speed following fibre activation

Yesterday a BT engineer fitted fibre to our home. He advised that the speed synchronized at 39.9mbps.
Today is the first time I have had an opportunity to test the new fibre speeds, the BT IP profile is approx 35.8mbps
I have attached 3 tests of the speed with mybroadbandspeed.co.uk and 1 test of the best effort results.
Is this normal following the first few days of activation as it looks a lot slower than the IP profile is capable of.
I managed once to get it to go to 1000kbps but only for a few minutes and then it went lower when downloading a large file.
6 REPLIES 6
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: Slow speed following fibre activation

Quite often, this can be because PN haven't updated their copy of the IP Profile, so they throttle speeds at their end.
Take a look at the "Current line speed" figure here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
(Or available when you login to the portal, select "connection settings", and then pick the "high speed broadband" icon).
If that value is too low, then follow Adam's post over in the "Routers & broadband" section: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,94587.msg803528.html#msg803528
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
chrisoldinho
Grafter

Thank you WWWombat, my current line speed shows as 2 Mb which indeed does appear to be what I was on before with ADSL.
I will contact PN when they open on Tuesday to ask that the profile is updated accordingly.
I should be looking at approximately 18x faster speeds based upon the current BT figures Cheesy
chrisoldinho
Grafter

That's a bit better, getting 3MB a second now. This fibre service is incredible!
My upload seems to be restricted to 2000k though, I was advised this would be in the 6MB region, can this be given a nudge also please?
Many thanks,
Chris.
phil4
Grafter

I hate to be the Messenger delivering bad news, but there are two probable causes for your slow upload:
1). PN either intentionally or accidentally made a mistake when ordering your line, and ordered 2mb upload.  They will do this intentionally if your expected upload was less than 6mb (eg. 5.9).  
2) you ordered through the commercial product route rather than the trial.  In which case PN currently only offer 2mb upload.
If 1) was the case, they can regrade the line, but it's another order through BT, which will take time, and cost PN money, so they may seem a bit reluctant to do it, and will take a few days even if they agree.
If it was 2) then I'll be interested to see how it pans out, as no precedence has yet been set.
Good luck and let us kow how it goes.
chrisoldinho
Grafter

Thanks Phil, I presume by Commercial route you mean I received a call offering me it from the 19/04/2011 onwards, if so then yes that is the case.
PN please could you regrade my profile to what I was advised 6Mb, I appreciate the impact on the downstream however I am prepared to accept this and see how we go.
Kind regards,
Chris.
phil4
Grafter

Hi Chris, yes that sounds like the full commerical package.  You are the second forum visitor to request the regrade to 10Mbit upload.
Let us know how that goes, as it will help us help others asking the very same.
Good luck.