Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service unavailable

intertree
Grafter

Re: Service unavailable

Um, can Dave or Ben give me a call?
May have figured out 651 error at least...
I now have a directly plugged in working connection.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

At the moment I don't know what the problem is, it could be the router but why have they worked fine for everyone else? And why are BT Business customers affected by the same problem? We've also sent a Netgear WNR1000 out to a customer and that didn't work. Connecting via a PC should also work. As soon as we know more we will let you know, I don't know what information we'll get back to say what I can when it's fixed.
KpLUnREAL - could you try the Thomson again and see if that now works please?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

intertree - I can see you online, I'm on a call at the moment, I'll see if Ben can give you a call.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
intertree
Grafter

Right so. I imagine folk are dying to know what I did to make it work.
When you go through the wizard to set up a PPPoE connection (in Windows 7 at least) you are presented with the options to enter a user name, password and connection name.
Each of us knew that we had to enter our user name and password and the service name of Plusnet. So we entered our details and put Plusnet in the connection name field. Then hit next.
What followed was an initial trial connection to the newly created 'Plusnet' branded PPPoE connection, which for each of us resulted in error 651. We then declared the test a failure and reported this to the forum.
What we didn't know, was that the 'Connection name' field in the wizard bared no resemblance to the 'Service name' field we needed to complete.
If you ignore the 651 and continue setting up the connection, you can then right click on it in the 'change adapter settings' section of the 'Network and Sharing Center' and select properties. The first option you're presented with is adding a service name.
Type 'Plusnet' in here and viola! A working PPPoE connection we have achieved.
(Seems like we're back to router faults...)
intertree
Grafter

In addition, I think the business faults might be a red herring. As I can't really see why all of us wouldn't be having this problem if this is actually how our connections worked.
Also, and this a little bit mean of me but did happen, the engineer who suggested this link had to ask me to teach him how to determine the IP address of a router and connect to it declaring that he was first and foremost a telephone engineer and didn't really know computers.
(Correlation rather than causation sort of thing).
intertree
Grafter

Until I get a new router I am makeshifting my netbook into an ad-hoc wireless hotspot called 'tempnet' (using Internet Connection Sharing).
This has suddenly become a little fun.
KpLUnREAL
Dabbler

More than happy with the speeds and pings !  Cheesy

Ping is 25ms to www.google.co.uk
Dave - My thomson router is still giving me the error's simply won't connect , but the Netgear WNR3500 is working 100% .
Also thanks to Ben and Dave for sorting out my ip profile !! You guys do a good job  Wink
intertree
Grafter

Quote from: KpLUnREAL

Also thanks to Ben and Dave for sorting out my ip profile !! You guys do a good job  Wink

Seconded, keep up the good work!
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks guys, glad you're online, and thanks for finding this fix intertree. We've passed the instructions on to the other 2 with the same problem to try tonight. intertree as discussed got a TG784 router on the way to you to try out. I still don't get why the Thomson doesn't work and we sent a Netgear WRN1000 out to one of the others affected as well and that didn't work either. Keeping my fingers crossed for the other 2 then we can take it from there as to what we do next.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
intertree
Grafter

Let us know if the other 2 work.
maynep

I've got it working here (Greenisland) as well with download speeds of over 20 Mbs and 7 Mbs for upload. Well happy with speed coming from 0.5 Mbs before FTTC due to distance from the exchange. I used the steps (thanks to all) to connect directly then found a cheap Edimax 3G-6200n router that I had once used for 3G that supported PPPoE. Looks like it's the Thompson routers! As a side note the LAN port is not very good on the bt modem, need to make sure it's pushed right in to keep the connection ... but could just be my unit.
Cheers, Paul
Flands

I've followed the little guide and no joy setting up the connection doing It manually with the direct pc connection even with naming the service, or the netgear router, just tried the Thomson just now as a last ditched attempt Sad manual connection I get error 651 after naming the service. Just don't know what the next step is going to be looks like there's a big bt fault Smiley
intertree
Grafter

Try rebooting the vDSL modem before direct connecting. I've found it can get locked in the 651 error until this is done.
Flands

Reboot and still no joy Sad
intertree
Grafter

That's a shame man.
New router arrived today (thanks Dave) and connected first time.
Oddly, the download speed seems to have increased above my former sync rate? Now up to 35mb.
The upload speed seems ominous however... (see attached).