cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second day of testing, 80/20

seane1977

Second day of testing, 80/20

Speed test show download 32.96 up 6.37, was hoping for more, as this is what i had before i started testing, using the  ZYXEL router.
4 REPLIES 4
paulpicks21
Grafter

Re: Second day of testing, 80/20

Do you have any idea of how far you are from your Green fibre cabinet?
I know where mine is and I used google maps to give me an approx distance from my house to the cabinet, it works out around 200mtrs for me which I think is pretty close hence my great speeds.
I imagine in the future when the trials are over they will come up with a test that will indicate if you live too far from the cabinet to benefit for more than the 40/2 fibre service.
seane1977

Hi paulpicks21, thanks for your reply, i'm about 1/2 a mile from the green fibre cabinet :'(, but still hoped a would get some increase in the speed.
Do you know if the increase happens straight away, do i need to reboot anything?Huh
I've tested again today but still no different,
Thanks
Sean
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The theory is that if you weren't getting the full speed on the 40 meg service you won't see any improvement from 80/20 on the download speed, but you will on the upload speed.
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: seane1977
i'm about 1/2 a mile from the green fibre cabinet :'(, but still hoped a would get some increase in the speed.

I'm also around 1/2 mile from the cabinet.
On the 80/20 trial I have seen no downstream speed improvement (on a good day 33Mb), but upstream (on a good day) can be around 5.5Mb.
The additional downstream speeds (above 40Mb) on 80/20 come from the higher frequencies.
Longer lines such as yours & mine cannot make any use of these higher downstream frequencies due to high attenuation & low SNR.
Some users can achieve 40Mb downstream at similar distances to ours, but they must have better quality copper D-side cabling.
Likewise, some users (different ISPs - not capped at 2Mb) can achieve somewhere approaching 10Mb over similar distances from their 40Mb service.
My highest sync speed achieved has been 35Mb (33Mb throughput) & I was able to achieve that on the original 8c profile which didn't even enable the higher frequencies.
In theory, the switch to the 17a profile should have given me a slight downstream speed increase as more downstream bit-loading tones at the lower frequencies were enabled.

So, for us, a 40/10 service would appear more appropriate (unless Plusnet decide NOT to increase cost for an "up to" 80/20 service). Wink