cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router tests on FTTP

Crellster
Rising Star

Router tests on FTTP

I've received my PN router but I also have a Billon 8800AXL on my copper adsl line at the moment. I was planning on setting up the FTTP link using the PN router just to get everything up and running then swapping it over for my billion. With fibre are there any similar line speed capping implications if for a period of time the line is down and then back up again - either applied by BT OR or PN? 

Also, whereas the Broadcom chipset on the Billion was great for noisy / bad SNR copper line like mine, are there similar considerations for a fibre router?

Cheers. 

4 REPLIES 4
PreGP
Rising Star

Re: Router tests on FTTP

@Crellster

In my opinion I don't really think there is any need to get the PN router out of the box if you're not intending to use it. The Billion 8800AXL should do everything you need. Just connect your ONT to the WAN input and connect using PPPOE with your PN username and password with the connection "always on" and you should be good to go straight away. I've not come across any speed capping if the router is changed and has to reconnect but you certainly don't need to start off with the PN router if you don't want to. Any gigabit router with PPPOE should work fine Smiley

Crellster
Rising Star

@PreGP  I was erring on the side of laziness Smiley I was thinking I could just keep the billion set up on copper until the FTTP service is confirmed as working and then think about switching over to the Billion. That would save me switching config in the short term. It was also to avoid the possible teenage riot if we had no internet connection for a period of time. (I'm making an assumption though my copper service will be up whilst this is all going on). 

PreGP
Rising Star

@Crellster Our copper line was down for a couple of hours when we had our FTTP installed two weeks ago. The engineers replaced our single copper overhead line with a "dual copper and fibre" cable and so had to disconnect the phone line to do this. I guess it depends on your installation but I used a TP-Link VPN wired router for the FTTP connection and it took less time to connect than my Netgear DM200 did on ADSL so there was no additional downtime because of a router change.

Crellster
Rising Star

@PreGP thanks for the info. The engineer was going to install a new dual copper and fibre cable from the CBT, though in my case the had to postpone the install because of a routing issue.