cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quite frankly 80/20 stinks!

Gryzor
Grafter

Quite frankly 80/20 stinks!

I was on a spiffing 36mbps-ish connection prior to getting greedy and wanting more.....I clicked the link to upgrade...oh boy what a mistake.  I have had up and downs, bad connections and drop-outs and some BT fiddling in between.
Tonight I thought to give the old speetest a whirl:

Not pretty.
What with all the shaping and [Censored] I am ready to try even chuffing talktalk right now!
Sort it out guys this place is going to hell.
[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) Title edited as per forum rules.
12 REPLIES 12
johnny

Re: Quite frankly 80/20 sucks balls!

My experience is similar.
I would never use TalkTalk, though.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

no one forced you to take part in a trial
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Ive not had any issues with the 80/20 trials in fact i have found the service to be rock solid getting a steady 69meg downstream and 14up.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

1. It's a trial
2. It's not costing you any extra money.
3. You can raise a ticket regarding the performance issues (make sure you make it clear that it appears to be an issue with the 80/20 trial and be patient while they try to fix it).
4. You can request to go back to the standard 40mb service at any time (previous performance will amost certinly be restored).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Gryzor
It's a trial - the point of trials is to find out if it works and before applying to be part of a trial you should weigh up the risks. If you are not prepared to accept the risks it's simple - don't apply to take part!

PS. The subject you've given to this topic is not acceptable on these forums, I've reported your post to the moderators and I'm positive they will be changing it to something more acceptable as soon as they get to it (unless you change it yourself first).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sjmartin60
Dabbler

Re: Quite frankly 80/20 stinks!

I have never been too impressed with Plusnet's fibre service, on the 80/20 trial I'm getting mid 20's down and about 5 up. previously on the 40/10? I was getting low 20's down and about 1.7 up, always given the same excuse, too far from the cabinet, there is a nearer cabinet so why aren't I connected to that one instead of one at least twice as far away. Undecided
w23
Pro

Hi sjmartin,
I'd tend to assume you were previously on 40/2 (the standard Plusnet Fibre speeds) rather than 40/10 (only ever available to the lucky few on the early FTTC trial) as this would be entirely consistent with an upload of 1.7mb/s.  If your download was previously well below 37mb/s (about the maximum realistically for a 40mb service) then it is unlikely that you'd see any real increase on 80/20.
The location of cabinets is entirely based on BTs old infrastructure (how the main telephone cables are routed from the exchange to your property), your line will only ever go to one specific cabinet as this is how the cable was originally installed and, unfortunately, it is not always the nearest cabinet to your property.  As your telephone line is not in any way connected to the nearer cabinet there is no way of providing you with a FTTC service from that cabinet.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Gryzor
can you tell me what router you've been using whilst on the trial and If you've raised a fault with us about this issue?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
SpecialD
Rising Star

Isn't it amusing when people say that they're not getting the speed they expected and so are tempted to change to BT/Sky/TalkTalk/bulldog/madasafish etc.etc. thinking that it'll make a difference?! Roll_eyes
Still uses the same phone line, same cabinet, still provided by BT wholesale maintained by BT Openreach = no difference!  The only way to truly get away would be to get Virgin cable or mobile broadband!!  Cheesy
w23
Pro

Quote from: Spesh
Virgin cable

[Rant]No thanks! Please wash your mouth out.[/Rant]
Having experienced the absolutely worst customer service ever at the hands of these criminals some years ago before being 'rescued' by PlusNet I would NEVER use them again.
Call me 'w23'
Ronski
Rising Star

Isn't it amusing when people say that they're not getting the speed they expected and so are tempted to change to BT/Sky/TalkTalk/bulldog/madasafish etc.etc. thinking that it'll make a difference?! Roll_eyes
Still uses the same phone line, same cabinet, still provided by BT wholesale maintained by BT Openreach = no difference!  The only way to truly get away would be to get Virgin cable or mobile broadband!!  Cheesy

But not the same traffic shaping, some no doubt worse, others with no traffic shaping only contention......
Edit: Traffic shaping shouldn't affect speed test results, and also loads of ISP's are having speed related issues with 80/20 connections, which most likely means it's not a Plus Net related problem.
johnny

Still uses the same phone line, same cabinet, still provided by BT wholesale maintained by BT Openreach = no difference! 

Not so, Sir!  There is (or, can be) a difference.
I was previously with PlusNet on an ADSL service which could not achieve more than 6Mbps.  I migrated to Zen Internet where I was consistently getting 10Mbps.  Same wires, Same cabinet, same exchange.
The speeds to which I refer are not periodic speed tests, they are from continual monitoring of my line conditions for SamKnows.