Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quick Update on the Trials

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quick Update on the Trials

We've now got almost 130 live on FTTC and 12 on FTTP, there are some others in progress and plenty of interest from people wanting to go on the trial.
FTTC is now available to 5% (1.7m properties) of the UK which is pretty considerable since we only started at 2 exchanges just over a year ago. Plan is to get to 40% in Summer 2012 and 66% by 2015. We're intending to stay as a trial for several months yet, certainly in to the new year (there's a lot of work to be done behind the scenes to be able to do a fully live product).
FTTP has been funning for about 6 weeks now and about 25% of the Bradwell Abbey trial area has been covered so far. No new areas were added this week but there may be more next week. The full buildout at Bradwell Abbey could take until the new year. Highams Park is due to see areas becoming available next month and again will take until at least the end of the year for all the areas to get done.
We're about to switch routers for both FTTC and FTTP. As such I don't want to place any new orders until they arrive unless you already have a suitable router (or want to buy one yourself). I've replied to everyone who has a ticket open to give them an update. The new routers are expected within the next couple of weeks so it shouldn't be too long a wait.
We're also continuing to work with a number of router suppliers to test out different hardware with our customers, we've just got a router from ZyXEL to try on FTTC as well as ones from DLink, Thomson and Netgear we've already tested. Keep an eye out for posts for volunteers if we get any more.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
13 REPLIES 13
scootie
Grafter

Re: Quick Update on the Trials

FTTP has been funning for about 6 weeks now

certainly must be funning to play with 100mbps  Wink
are you seeing any crosstalk speed decreases yet?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I don't think so, but I'm not sure there will be either, it's more likely going to be contention especially if several people burst at the same time. It's very early days though, there's less than 50 live across 4 ISPs so far plus a bunch of test lines.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
bluewhale
Rising Star

hi dave,
sterling work so far
hmmm...wonder where that comes from? the engine?
cheers
pete
scootie
Grafter

with regards to crosstalk i was pointing at the FTTC product, which exchange's area was it that's most heavily subscribed to FTTC and should be the first to see the cross talk effect?
tho that may go un discovered to lesser or more degree in my view due to there still being no known way to get any stats out of the BT openreach modem.
Am still interested in joining the trail but due mainly to the post offices insanely rubbish billing system that never sends any invoices out and then when you ring up  the matching insanely rubbish CSC to request they pull there finger out and get rid of the bugs in there billing system they turn round and send one out at £160 and rob most are leisure money.
Word of waring to all do not go near the post office broadband product as they mess every single bill up and in one case i have heard of the customer was not billed for the whole year up in till the 12 months and they wanted to leave.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Ah, misunderstood. We can get the sync rate from the line tests we can do but there's no more line stats than that. Not seen any noticeable effects yet but we've not got much in the way of historic data to check to see. Might do a few checks now and re-run in a few months.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Latest FTTP data is out. September 15th will see cabs 106 and 107 added to the trial in Bradwell Abbey. Unfortunately we don't have any customers on either of those cabs so there's no change for us at the moment.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
scootie
Grafter

Might do a few checks now and re-run in a few months

would you only be able to tell how many of PN's customers are on a particular cab and not actually how many FTTC lines across all isp's are active on the cab?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Yeah, I can't see how many customers there are on other ISPs on each cab or ISP. I just had a figure on the total number of cabs and total number of customers across all ISPs.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
scootie
Grafter

I just had a figure on the total number of cabs and total number of customers across all ISPs.

is the total number of customers for the whole exchange area?
and so you would be dividing the total amount customers on fttc at the exchange by how many cabs the exchange serve to estimate how many fttc lines are active  on each cab
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No, I just knew how many were on FTTC across the country not per exchange.
Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
pauljd

Hi Dave
I'm a brand new Plusnet customer and I have the good luck to live in a cabled FTTP area.  I've mentioned my wish to join the trial on the Help and Support site - Question 37536066 - but I had to put it on the FTTC page because I couldn't find an FTTP page.  No reply as yet.
However, I live in Milton Keynes (MK7 7HP) and the fibre runs along the manholes in my street, AND there is a duct into my house.  Three resident, all BT customers, have already been connected.
Is it possible to join the FTTP trial, please?
Regards
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi Paul
To join the FTTP trial you need to register your interest on the Fibre to the Premises - FTTP Trial post.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,83633.0.html
Cheers
Howard
Birdzilla

From your modem trials, has any one recommended any as being particularly good. In an attempt to reduce cabling round the house, I am using a wireless dongle with my pc upstairs. The service is a bit jerky. I wonder whether this is a problem with the signal strength? I am using a Netgear modem.