cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on FTTP installation.

Andy_Gadget

Questions on FTTP installation.

I've been with Plusnet (as free-online) since the dark dark dial-up days and we've recently had FTTP made available in the village - no mains gas, no mains drainage but we have super-fast broadband!  However, our house is a tricky one, so before I go ahead with trying to join the trial I was after a bit of info on the line installation itself (beyond the FTTP FAQ). I'm trying to work out how best to get the fibre to where I want it.
The fibre bundle runs under the pavement outside the house, and other newer houses have had ducting dug up to the house and straight in to the external terminator - Job done!
Our house is  Cotswold stone - (3 foot thick at the base) with a bit built on - and set down from the road, so not quite so easy a proposition.  Overhead (following our copper) and down is not possible as there is no wayleave on the shared power poles for fibre, and no suitable BT pole in reach.  
a) Can the feed from the DP to the external terminator be run horizontally along a wall (3 foot) or does it have to be straight from the duct to the ET?
b) Can the feed from the ET to the ONT be run externally, or does it have to enter the property at the external terminator?
I'm pretty sure the answer to both these is in the negative, so Plan C would mean going in through a thinner area of wall to a bedroom (at road level) and then drilling through a solid floor of unknown construction down to the wood-panelled ceiling of the 'den', with no easy points of reference between the two for alignment.  (I did say it was a tricky one #;¬).
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Questions on FTTP installation.

Hi Andy,
I'd imagine the line would need to enter the property straight from the ET.
I'll see if I can find a definitive answer for you and let you know ASAP.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cajef
Grafter

Quote from: Andy
a) Can the feed from the DP to the external terminator be run horizontally along a wall (3 foot) or does it have to be straight from the duct to the ET?
b) Can the feed from the ET to the ONT be run externally, or does it have to enter the property at the external terminator?

a)   My ET box is next to the previous telephone entry with the fibre cable running out of the underground ducting into the existing cable cover about three feet up the wall then out and along to the ET, so I cannot see any reason why the cable could not be run an extra few feet.
b)  The fibre cable runs externally from the ET round the property to an entry point in a room at the other end of the house and through the wall where the ONT is near my computer desk.
The Openreach engineer was quite happy to run the cable, especially with a good supply of tea and biscuits. Smiley
Andy_Gadget

Apologies for my tardy response, and thank you.
Yes, now I've dug a bit deeper and collared an Openreach engineer, I've found that to be the case.
Andy.