cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with speed on 80/20 trial.

warhorse

Problems with speed on 80/20 trial.

Hi everyone,
I've been on the 80/20 trial for about 4 days now but my speeds are not what I expected, I raised a ticket and was told that Plusnet had run some tests on my connection and some sections have come back as failed, the support guy said that he was not trained in FTTC issues and advised me to post here.

Could some kind FTTC support person please take a look and see if there is anything they can do to improve my speeds?
Many thanks,
Gareth
6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Problems with speed on 80/20 trial.

Welcome to the forum warhorse Smiley
This is probably something for Digicare to look at on Monday.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi warhorse,
There's a few thing worth checking first:
What speeds did you get before the 80/20 trial?
What does it say under 'Current line speed here: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?
Also reboot your router first (not the modem) then run a BT Speedtest here: http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ , click on 'yes' and select the ADSL & Fibre to the Cabinet Diagnostics, enter your phone number and run the test, on the results page what does it say the IP profile for your line is?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
warhorse

Hi,
Been on the trial about a week now and my speeds are still poor, I'm getting at tops 24/6 but more often than not its about 10/5.  Before the trial I was getting around 28/1.6 so disappointed with performance now.
My current line speed is 20Mb so no problems there.
Here's what speedtester.bt.com said-
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5.78 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12 Mbps-31.36 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 31.36 Mbps
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
4.15 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 4.15Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps
I need some help here please Plusnet support:-)
Many thanks,
Gareth
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi Gareth,
With an IP profile of 31.36 your sync is just over 32Mb/sec so it is unlikely that this has changed significantly since pre-trial as it was already less than the maximum on the 40/2 service so your download speed really should not be suffering like it appears to be.  I guess the increased upload could have some effect on download but it certainly should not be that bad.  Your previous download speed of 28 (or maybe a little more) is about what you'd expect for the current IP profile.
Hopefully a member of staff will be able to investigate further.
[Edit] Are you using the same router as you were on 40/2?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
The best thing I can recommend is to raise this as a fault in all honesty - you can do that at http://faults.plus.net and our faults team will pick this up and get it sorted for you. Unfortunately there's no easier way of getting this sorted as the order shows complete, sorry about that.
richards99
Grafter

Hi
My download profile has gone into a downward spiral. It was max when I started but is now in the mid 50s. Could I please ask that a member of staff looks into this as having been very pleased I am now disappointed.
Thanks in anticipation