Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting my Telephone Number to a VOIP provider now I'm on the FTTP trial

FIXED
PreGP
Rising Star

Porting my Telephone Number to a VOIP provider now I'm on the FTTP trial

Hi there

I understand there is a risk that if I port my existing telephone number to an VOIP provider that Plusnet staff may assume I want to cancel my broadband service with them as well. Now that I am on the FTTP trial I'd like to stop paying for my line rental when I port the telephone number over but obviously I want to continue my broadband service on the FTTP trial. The VOIP provider is Sipgate and they've given me a projected port date of 10th August. I realise I have to pay an extra £2.50 if there is no phone line rental and there may be a early termination charge as I'm still within my initial contract. Could FTTP staff look out for the port request and ensure that my FTTP service isn't cancelled as well?

Thanks

PreGP

12 REPLIES 12
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Porting my Telephone Number to a VOIP provider now I'm on the FTTP trial

HI @PreGP 

Thanks for letting us know. 

As long as this port happens after the FTTP goes live (which this will in your case I assume), then everything should work itself out automatically. The broadband competent of your account will no longer be linked to the phone line - therefore when the line is ceased the FTTP component should stay active.

I would like to point out (though I'm sure you know) that if you move this number to VOIP it will stay as a VOIP going forward.

Once the Port Request comes through things should kick into play without needing manual interaction. 

Thanks, 

PreGP
Rising Star

Thanks

Hopefully it should all go smoothly Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

Hey. While it should be fine, we've decided to raise a ticket onto your account to monitor this just to make sure nothing happens to your FTTP service.

I've also detailed in the ticket the early termination charge for the phone side of your contract. You can view and reply to this from Here.

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PreGP
Rising Star

Thanks Gandalf

The early termination charge is fine. Thanks for monitoring it.

PreGP

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems, fingers crossed all goes smoothly.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

One reason I haven't ceased my copper phone line yet (which is with BT) is that I've been waiting for PN to announce a fully-fledged FTTP product range just in case there is anything financially detrimental (in excess of the extra £2.50 for those with another provider) in the new FTTP T&Cs for those not having any landline.

Maybe I won't have long to wait before seriously considering the option of porting the landline number to VoIP.  Roll_eyes

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'd love to give a date for when/if we launch FTTP as a full product but I'm bound to secrecy unfortunately.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@Gandalf

You do realise that by saying you're bound to secrecy you're confirming you've been told something that needs to be kept secret!!!

Brian

PreGP
Rising Star

The great thing about porting my number and getting rid of the copper line rental is it brings the cost of having 75Mbps FTTP broadband down to under £23.50 a month and the VOIP telephone costs are minimal Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@bmc Regarding that last part, I was trying to make a joke (Unsuccessfully). Smiley

To be honest I don't know of our plans. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
PreGP
Rising Star

Thanks. The port went smoothly and the FTTP service was not interrupted so everything is good.

PreGP

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Glad to hear that! If there is anything else we can help you with, feel free to ask Smiley