cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting landline number to VoIP and keeping FTTP

FIXED
janswer

Porting landline number to VoIP and keeping FTTP

Hi, I'm currently on the FTTP trial, which has been brilliant. I have a BT landline which remains largely unused, and I'm thinking about porting the number to a VoIP provider. Can I just double check that this won't trigger the cancellation of my broadband? I believe that's the case from reading other posts here, but I wanted to make sure.

2 REPLIES 2
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Porting landline number to VoIP and keeping FTTP

@janswer 

You need to get an FTTP trained member of staff like @Gandalf to response and give a definitive answer.

Although it's a BT landline who provides your phone service? If it's BT then you'll have no problems (I believe!!!!). If it's PlusNet then you need to work with them to port the number. Cancellation of a phone service can lead to account closure due to the way their systems work.

There's a £2.50 surcharge for Internet only on PlusNet but you should already be paying this if using BT for your phone service.

I (like 3 of my neighbours) gave up my phone line almost as soon as I was on the FTTP Trial. Never missed it as a mobile covers any need for a phone.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Porting landline number to VoIP and keeping FTTP

Fix

Thanks for getting in touch @janswer 

As we're not providing your phone service, moving your landline number to VoIP will have no effect on your FTTP with us.

Let us know if you've got any further queries

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet