Poor FTTP performance

FIXED
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Re: Poor FTTP performance

Hi @bigsimes 

@bmc is correct - we would need a wired speed test to be conducted on http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ if at sall possible. 

Kind Regards, 

Alisdair 

bigsimes
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Hi @MasterOfReality

Thanks for the response. @MatthewWheeler PM'd me and suggested he would want to run some tests, hence my response on "what tests?".

Are you suggesting the http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ tests are those that that Matthew was talking about?

@bmc - many thanks. I realise this, which I why I raised it.

Hoping we can get this resolved. FIL is still seeing performance issues

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, I couldn't be sure without speaking to Matthew but it that would logically be the best thing to try next. Do drop us a reply when you have. 

Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

@bigsimes @adamwalker

You may well need your FIL's Service ID to run the Further Diagnostics section. I believe this logs the results on OpenReach so they can see what's what.

Ideally the test would be run both when the download is "good" and when the download is "poor" so you can see if there's anything different.

Brian

bigsimes
Grafter

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Managed to pop over FIL earlier and got these from the BT speed check

@adamwalker @MatthewWheeler @MasterOfReality

This was using a wired connection directly to the router. Second test is interesting as it says not FTTP, but is clearly a fibre to the house.

PN runtest.pngPN bt test2.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Simon.

To complete the BT speedtest further diagnostics for a FTTP connection, you'll need the circuit ID BBEU.

With that said, in this instance the screenshot you've provided should be enough.

If your father in law sees these slow speeds using various other devices too, I'd raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net so we can arrange an engineer visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bigsimes
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf

Thanks for the update.

He only has one wired device, as PC, the rest of the network are wireless kit (chromebook, iPad, phones etc), but as its consistent, in that it happens frequently (daily), something is going on.

I will monitor it for him over a week, and take further screen shots which we can use to initiate a ticket on the faults website.

kind regards

BS

bigsimes
Grafter

Hi @Gandalf

I have gathered some more speed checks and it still shows very poor performance. I have logged onto the web site to log a fault, but it just takes me through the standard broadband fault resolution process, and assumes running on copper via FTTC and wants to run checks on the phone line which is irrelevant.

I have mentioned in the notes this is a FTTP install and not to check the phones, but who knows if this will be followed or not.

Is there anywhere obvious I can update the call with the speed check screenshots? There doesn't appear to be any ticket reference or email I can use.

Many thanks

bmc
Hero

@bigsimes @Gandalf

It looks like you really need your FIL's Service ID so you can use that when running Further Diagnostics. These tests are logged on the OR system I believe.

Brian

bigsimes
Grafter

@bmc

many thanks. not able to get there today. will try asap.

Simon

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @bigsimes 

If you let us know once you have been able to get there and do this we will check for the Further Diagnostics information. 

Thanks 

Alisdair 

bmc
Hero

@bigsimes

Just to double check - have you got the Service ID (don't recall you mentioning you have it). Mine is an 8 digit number prefaced with BBEU

It's send by e-mail to your FIL's registered contact e-mail but you have to ask for it.

Brian

bigsimes
Grafter

Hi @MasterOfReality

I can remote onto their PC and run the test using TV. I don't have a circuit ID so when I do the further tests option, it allows me to select the address, but then get the response in the second screen shot.

Let me know if this is possible.

Thanks

bmc
Hero

@bigsimes

I ran the test last week purely out of curiosity. I got the same as you - when I used the address option the system thought I didn't have FTTP. Got my Service ID and the test completed as expected.

Apart from being e-mail to your FIL a "ticket" will appear in his account so I assume you would be able to access that (under "View My Questions"). Hopefully a staff member will do the necessary.

Brian

bigsimes
Grafter

@bmc

Hi Brian, I don't think he has. Who do I ask for this?

Kr

Simon