cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnets Fibre Router and Modem - opinions

Timalay
Grafter

Plusnets Fibre Router and Modem - opinions

Well i've found out FTTC is coming to our area next year.  Just a question what are peoples opinion of the Netgear fibre wireless router and the modem supplied by Plusnet.
18 REPLIES 18
itsme
Grafter

Re: Plusnets Fibre Router and Modem - opinions

Believe the modem is supplied by Openreach
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The modem is supplied by BT Openreach, not PlusNet, it is part of the BT Wholesale package for all ISPs using BTW FTTC.
The router is OK, not fantastic, there are many better wireless routers available (and many less good too), it's a fairly basic wireless N unit offering 'up to 150' wireless speeds but it operates a 'good neighbour policy' to reduce interference with other local networks which can reduce wireless speeds.
If you have equipment cpable of using 'N300' rather than 'N150' or dual band then you might get better performance from a 'better' router, just make sure you look for one with Ethernet WAN and PPPoE support.
There are a couple of (expensive) routers available that have VDSL2 modems built in, not sure how BT view these but they would theoretically replace both the modem and router with a single unit, at least these allow you to see the VDSL line stats without having to unlock the modem as the BT supplied unit is 'locked down' as supplied: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4040711-more-fttc-line-stats.html?vc=1
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
catshill
Grafter

My thoughts are that it would have been nice if the new router had arrived before or even on the same day that the installation was carried out  Shocked
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Spile
Sorry about that, this isn't typical of our usual delivery lead times, there has been a stock issue at the warehouse which caused a few delays this week.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mwerle
Grafter

There was a fair bit of talk about the BT OpenReach modems overheating (and failing).  Not sure if the current version has the same fault - the one I got ran quite warm, but I replaced it with a DrayTek 2750Vn modem/router combo after only a few days.  This was mainly because the supplied Netgear router didn't have the features I needed and for some reason neither did any standalone routers as far as I could find.
For anybody just using normal internet access, the provided router and modem should be sufficient.  If you want VOIP, multiple public IPs, IPv6, or advanced VPN configurations you'll need to look elsewhere.
JakTheBiscuit
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The router Plusnet sent me, September 2011,  was a ZyXel NBG4604:  http://www.zyxel.com/uk/en/products_services/nbg4604.shtml
It's fine for my use.
catshill
Grafter

I was sent a Netgear WNR1000 v3
Plus:: Lovely UI after the cruddy Thomson one.
Minus:: No external antennna and Wifi coverage defintely down on the Thomson.
jasonhunt

Any opinions regarding the WNR1000 v3 router? We've been running FTTC for a while now, and it's pretty good, but suspect wireless perfromance of Netgear isn't up to much? Suggestions for a good replacement welcomed. Thanks.
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: jasonhunt
Any opinions regarding the WNR1000 v3 router? We've been running FTTC for a while now, and it's pretty good, but suspect wireless perfromance of Netgear isn't up to much? Suggestions for a good replacement welcomed. Thanks.

Have had FTTC for 2 weeks now using WNR1000 v3 . Have not noticed any perceptible wireless performance difference from the 2Wire 2700HGV using previously. Our house does not have 2 foot thick stone interior walls though Smiley
bobmaclean
Hooked

Plusnet supplied me with a Netgear WRN 1000  v3 which does have a wireless antenna and works fine in my house (modern with no thick walls).  It's wireless coverage is far better than the router I was given when I was with Sky.  Are there two versions, with and without antenna?
roost78
Grafter

Can anyone suggest a Ethernet WAN modem only. I want to present the public IP to a firewall. I have tried to configure PPPoE on the firewall but not had much luck.  The Router supplied by Plusnet unfortunately does not have this feature.
catshill
Grafter

Quote from: bobmaclean
Plusnet supplied me with a Netgear WRN 1000  v3 which does have a wireless antenna and works fine in my house (modern with no thick walls).  It's wireless coverage is far better than the router I was given when I was with Sky.  Are there two versions, with and without antenna?

Are you sure you do not mean the WRN1000v3?
If so it does not have an external antenna. See http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/netgear-wnr1000-wireless-router-03781591-pdt.html
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: roost78
Can anyone suggest a Ethernet WAN modem only. I want to present the public IP to a firewall. I have tried to configure PPPoE on the firewall but not had much luck.  The Router supplied by Plusnet unfortunately does not have this feature.

You need to clarify what you are trying to do as the Ethernet modem (VDSL) is supplied by BT and  PN supply the router. If you are using an additional hardware Firewall this should be connected to the BT modem and then you can connect to the firewall the PN supplied router turning off its firewall.
mxs
Grafter

Quote from: Spile
Quote from: bobmaclean

Are you sure you do not mean the WRN1000v3?
If so it does not have an external antenna. See http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/netgear-wnr1000-wireless-router-03781591-pdt.html

Just to back up the original poster my WNR1000v3 also (supplied from plusnet) has an external antenna so it would appear there are different versions of the v3 if there are some without. Wink
If anyone is interested I can dig it out and find any additional part/model numbers and maybe post a photo.