cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet experiment with FTTP in Scotland?

brianex121
Grafter

PlusNet experiment with FTTP in Scotland?

Fascinated to see some hints on the forums that PlusNet are running trials of its own  FTTP... Do you/BT have any plans to trial in Scotland?  I'm six miles from my exchange and lucky to get 1.5mbs connection at present.  There is small, local industry opposite and six months ago I emailed BT to suggest a plan to sell them a service... no reply or even acknowledgement. Must admit I'm doubtful (nearest BT exchange is North Berwick).
3 REPLIES 3
tazmaniandevil
Grafter

Re: PlusNet experiment with FTTP in Scotland?

There was a FTTP trial done in Dundee a couple of years back where the fibre cables were laid in the sewerage system and popped into the premises via the SVP. It was a great success apparently, but as far as I know was never repeated.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: brianex121
Fascinated to see some hints on the forums that PlusNet are running trials of its own  FTTP...

Not quite accurate. It's not Plusnet's own FTTP, they are trialling the FTTP service provided by BT wholesale.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

@ brianex121 - Have a look here: http://www.digitalscotland.org/superfast-broadband/ ; It would look like your area is "Under Evaluation". Unfortunately, it would be very unlikely that you get FTTP in your area in the near term. I think someone quoted that the payback for FTTC was 20 years for Openreach/BT. I would imagine FTTP would be 2-3x that...