cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People on FTTP, does it mean you avoid the common issues with BT Openreach?

snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

People on FTTP, does it mean you avoid the common issues with BT Openreach?

Hello people on FTTP.
People like me who are still on ADSL, and people on FTTC, encounter problems because when there's something wrong, Plusnet have to get Openreach to sort it out - either though remote systems or by sending an engineer.  As you can see by reading through the posts on the forums, messages don't get passed along, engineers are of variable quality, appointments don't get kept etc.
Do you lucky people get fewer problems relating to Openreach systems and engineers etc?
You lucky people with FTTP presumably have a brand new fibre connection and so aren't using old infrastructure from Plusnet's servers right up to your house & router.  Does this mean you see fewer technical problems as well?
Is there light at the end of the tunnel, when a few years from now we all have FTTP?  Or is it the same service just with newer technology?
2 REPLIES 2
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: People on FTTP, does it mean you avoid the common issues with BT Openreach?

@snozboz
Yes we do get problems.
My fttp link had a  FOUR MONTH period when it would drop speeds down to 500Kb/s for hours on end. My neighbours also had this issue and it took FOUR MONTHS to fix as there was dodgy equipment in the telephone exchange.
Fault finding on FTTP links is extremely hard, probably because very few people are trained on it and/or it has not broken down often enough for the staff to know how to fix issues.
Also FTTP is only from the house to the exchange. Once at the exchange, the traffic is put onto Plusnet's bandwidth with all the adsl/fttc users so we suffer any errors such as yesterday's gateway issue and general congestion if Plusnet have insufficient bandwidth from the local exchange back to their gateways. I have had those problems too.
So it is not the answer to all problems.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
cajef
Grafter

Re: People on FTTP, does it mean you avoid the common issues with BT Openreach?

I have been connected on FTTP for just over twelve months and in that period I have had a rock steady connection with no drops and constant stable speed, so personally although I had a fairly good ADSL+2 connection the fibre connection has been far more reliable and I would not want to go back to an ADSL connection now. Smiley