cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People actually getting top speeds - what routers are you using?

AxeMurderer
Grafter

People actually getting top speeds - what routers are you using?

...and is anyone using a Billion 7800N?
Why do I ask? Well, even though I have a 77Mb/s profile, I'm getting no more than ~53Mb/s. But today I tested direct from the modem and got the full 77Mb/s. I tested immediately afterwards with the router and only (!) got 53. Which to me points to the router not really coping.
So what are you folks, who are actually seeing the top speeds, using?
18 REPLIES 18
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: People actually getting top speeds - what routers are you using?

for me,  I get around 75mbps from both the Netgear N150 and the ZyXEL router supplied by plus.net, using wired connections.
Wireless is more variable depending on device and router.  It appears that Android devices don't like the ZyXEL routers.
paulpicks21
Grafter

I am using the Netgear N150 too. I did try the XyXEL but my speeds were marginally lower so I switched back to the Netgear.

Paul.
kevhky
Dabbler

Ive got both the Billion 7800n and the Zyxel
Out of the two the Zyxel is my best option, i get a much faster download speed over wifi with it and to be honest my speed seems to be getting higher, checked this morning and im up to 63mb now was only 59mb last week
It doesnt seem to over heat either and stays cool
Kev
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Kev, do you happen to recall what speeds you got from the Billion?
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: kmilburn
 It appears that Android devices don't like the ZyXEL routers.

My HTC Wildfire is perfectly happy with the Zyxel router, as have been other Android devices.
kmilburn
Grafter

My Android devices connect fine to the ZyXEL  but both the phone and tablet (from different makers) get 10mbps less that they do on the Netgear N150.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Thought I'd revive my own thread, with an update...
With my Billion 7800N, still on 1.06d firmware, the best I've seen is ~55Mb/s, wired (wireless is similar)
With a Technicolor 582n, kindly supplied by PN as part of the IPv6 trial, I get 70Mb/s, wired (wireless not tried)
There is, I understand, 1.06g firmware for the Billion now, which, possibly with a QoS frig, should get the Billion into the right ballpark. I'll try that as soon as no-one else in the house is using the internet and I have a bit of time free.

Back on the original theme, if you are getting top speeds, please post your router details!
paulpicks21
Grafter

I am now testing out the Tecnicolor 582, my speeds are identical to the speeds I was getting with the Netgear.
To be honest I didn't expect any higher as I am really at the top end anyway.

Paul.
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Im currently using the netgear WNR2000v3 for use on the 80/20 FTTC trial as ive found this one is more stable than the supplied netgear WNR1000 .
tangey
Grafter

As per the 80/20 trial thread, I can categorically state that the Zxyel 4604 router (and indeed the previous one plusnet supplied for ADSL) is useless with keeping some apple products connected.  I spent many months working with the firewall, DMZ etc etc, trying to find out why my apple airport express was disappearing of the network. I bought another, and it also behaved identically.  The recently received technicolour router has giving me 100% attachment on both airport express devices, whereas at best I got a couple of hours on the Zxyel.
Pity the technicolour one isn't gigabit.
mulcahysm
Dabbler

My profile reports 69 and the Apple AirPort Extreme I use is giving me 67 over the wired connection.
The wireless side does not seem to be as good as other's have reported, most I've seen is mid 30s.  But this is not the latest model, and I've had to enable G as well as N so that may be impacting things.
flaminmoses
Grafter

RT-N56U
Supposed to get 40mb but only get 25-27 lol.....i say only im happy with that.
Thats on wireless too.
AxeMurderer
Grafter

Some progress, at last, for me. Now that I have upgraded the Billion to firmware 1.06g, I have seen 74Mb/s (on BT's speedtester). That is wired; wireless I can't quite match that at 62Mb/s with my laptop located in its usual not quite line of sight place. My profile has dropped a smidge from 77Mb/s, probably due to all the router swapping/booting.
CircuitW1zard

I was previously using the Netgear router supplied by Plusnet and was getting 73Mb wired but no more than 38Mb in the upstairs bedroom over wireless (The router is down in the kitchen).
I've just started to use the Technicolor TG582n and i'm already seeing a big improvement. Same speeds wired as I think that's my limit but wireless has increased to 57.72Mb. I'm happier and will now try and tweek some settings to get the wireless higher.