Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Package and expected speeds

Dagenham71
Dabbler

Package and expected speeds

Hi,

Not being the most tech savy of people I wondered if someone at PN could advise me on what speeds I should be expecting on my account and package?

I think I moved to FTTP in February 2018 after being offered it by email and signing up. When I log in to my account I see my Broadband is 'Unlimited BB (Contracted)' can't seem to find exactly what my Broadband package is and what speeds I should be expecting. Can someone confirm this?

When I do a speed test on the line the download speed pretty much fluctuates from at worst 4Mbps to 36Mbps at best but usually its around the 20-24Mbps. I wondered if I should expecting better speeds than that? Speeds do seem to drop a bit and I find I have to reboot the router every so often to get them back up again.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Package and expected speeds

@Dagenham71 

When you think you moved did an OpenReach engineer and run a new cable to your house which was then plugged into a new box (ONT) fitted to the wall. Your router then plugs into the ONT with an Ethernet cable.

Or are you still plugged into a telephone socket?

If you check the following it'll tell you what's available for your line. You're looking for WBC FTTP in the left hand colunn. Further down, in the narrative there will be a comment about the ONT.

www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

Dagenham71
Dabbler

Yeah, cheers Brian that's exactly what happened now looking back, ONT on the wall, no longer plugged in to the telephone socket.

That link is showing WBC FTTP - Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upto 1000 and Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upto 220.

And the ONT PART ....

"ONT exists with active service. A spare port is available. A new ONT may be ordered and will be placed in Waiters list until the network is ready."

Should I be expecting better speeds? Like I say it fluctuates a fair bit especially of late and I find myself rebooting the moden more often of late to get back in to the 30+Mbps. Just wondering what speeds I should be expecting with the package I have.

bmc
Hero

@Dagenham71 

If you log into your PlusNet Members page it should tell you which package you're on. It'll either be Unlimited Fibre (38/10) or Unlimited Fibre Extra (78/20). PlusNet run the trial of FTTP based on their FTTC packages.

With FTTP you should get near full speed up and down all the time. Are you running the speed tests on wired or WiFi?

Brian

Dagenham71
Dabbler

Yeah that's what I'm struggling to find when I log in, can only find it down as 'Unlimited BB (Contracted)'. I'm guessing it's Unlimited Fibre (38/10) but can't see any confirmation of that but that's what my speeds seem to be at when at their best.

When I do a wired speed test it's usually around 36Mbps range, over the WiFi it fluctuates a fair bit and had problems with some devices dropping connection and only reconnecting after rebooting the modem. In a all not a huge problem and only occasionally have speeds dropped enough to stop me streaming etc but just wanted to confirm what I should be getting.

Also is it right that I can get rid of my landline (also with PN) if I'm on FTTP? We very rarely use the phone nowadays.

bmc
Hero

@Dagenham71

When I run speed tests I usually get a high 36 or a low 37 with the odd hic up. It'll be your WiFi devices which are probably causing your problems. The PlusNet router is basic (a re-badged BT HH5). You can get a BT HH6 or the even newer SmartHub2 off eBay quite cheaply but you need to make certain you get the FTTP version (they have a Red Lan port).

You need to get one of the FTTP trained support staff (not looking at anyone @Gandalf  ) to answer about your phone. If you're still in contract there would be cancellation fees payable. There's also a £2.50 surcharge for internet only service. Note that PlusNet no longer offer broadband only deals to new customers.

Brian

Dagenham71
Dabbler

Cheers Brian for the help, I might have a look in to getting a new router, seems to be mainly the Apple devices that drop connection the most, TV, laptop and sons xbox all seem OK, probably time to upgrade the modem anyway, thanks for the help.

Keen to cancel the landline if possible, I'll see what the FTTP PN team on here say.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @Dagenham71 I can see we've accepted you onto our FTTP trial in February 2018 and provided this to you at the end of March 2018, which looks to have been on the 40/10 product (40mbps download speed, 10mbps upload speed).

Upon completion of the order, we didn't change your account type to fibre, so we've been billing you a little less as you've stayed on a standard broadband package as you can see in your account.

Unfortunately we're currently unable to correct this as our own system doesn't recognise FTTP for us to be able to change your package across. In the past while the trial was open we had a workaround, but we can't use this now.

This won't be affecting your service though. I've tested your service and there aren't any issues showing and as you've said your speeds on a wired connection are generally OK I think it's best if we start to tackle this from a wireless issue. 

Could you try splitting what's known as the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless frequencies explained Here? This will create two wireless networks you'll be able to choose from to connect your devices to. I'd also recommend changing the wireless channels, there's instructions Here if you're unsure on how to do this.

Let us know how it goes, we'll be happy to make these changes on your behalf if it's easier.

With regards to removing your home phone service, this is possible and it'd mean you'll be paying more for your broadband although it'd work out less than line rental per month. 

I've added a reply onto a support ticket with more information and you'll be able to view and respond to by logging into your account and going Here with confirmation you're happy to go ahead.

I hope this helps.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Typo corrected.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dagenham71
Dabbler

OK, thanks for the reply and information, that all makes sense. I'll keep an eye on the mobile devices and WiFi in the house and see how it goes, they all seem to be OK at the moment but if it keeps happening I'll have a look at the wireless frequencies.

Regarding the phone I've replied to the ticket to confirm the cancellation of my phone only but to keep the rest of my package as is.

Thanks again.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

No problem, sounds good. I've started the process now of removing your phone service and I'll aim for this to be completed on Monday. Let me know if there's anything else you'd need help with in the meantime.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet