cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPPoE problems

djsmilee

PPPoE problems

I've just had our FTTC trial activated. I'm using a Cisco 2600 which I was previously using with an ADSL module.
Using the default PPPoE config for the router i'm having no luck. The VDSL box doesn't seem to respond to PPPoE broadcasts....
*Feb  9 05:08:05.888:  Sending PADI: Interface = FastEthernet0/1
*Feb  9 05:08:38.218:  padi timer expired
Any ideas folks?
5 REPLIES 5
bighippo999
Grafter

Re: PPPoE problems

I have my old Pix 506e working with PPPoE, haven't configured a 2600 in a while, but incase it helps below is the main bit of my running config for the pix.
Jodi.

vpdn group pppoex request dialout pppoe
vpdn group pppoex localname username@plusdsl.net
vpdn group pppoex ppp authentication chap
vpdn username username@plusdsl.net password *********
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
I'm not familiar with Cisco so can't offer a lot of advice. Did a quick Google and found the post at the bottom of this thread which might be of help:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/211310?decorator=print&displayFullThread=true
If it doesn't then it is possible to connect a PC direct to the BT modem and set up a PPPoE dial-up connection, that way you can at least get online. These instructions work on Windows XP:
The setup is done as follows, create a dial-up PPPoE connection.
Go to Control Panel -> Network Connections
Create a new connection
Connect to the Internet
Set up my Connection Manually
Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password (PPPoE)
ISP Name - Plusnet
Enter the broadband username and password
Finish and click Connect
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
djsmilee

Thanks for the replies chaps.
Authenticating directly with an XP machine works fine!! which is good news. However I still can't get the router to play ball, it seems like there's an incompatability somewhere in the PPPoE process.
I've found a number of example configs and they all use similar commands, however the router's PPPoE negotiation requests continue to go unanswered. I'm going to try a different IOS version. I've already lost a good chunk of my hair over this.... hah
I might contact Openreach tomorrow at work and ask them about the VDSL device...
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

I'll see if I can find someone at Cisco, I did have a chat with one of their guys on Tuesday so I'll see if I can find anything out.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
headsup

Hi Dave, I realize this is an old post, but did you manage to speak to Cisco about this as I too would like to use a PIX instead of the supplied Thomson 585v8?