cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OR Delays.... How many should I expect?!?

john99041

OR Delays.... How many should I expect?!?

Hi, just want to make clear from the start that I'm not having a dig at plusnet as they have been really helpful, I am however wondering how BT Openreach can keep delaying an order without any kind of explanation?
I originally placed my order for FTTP and was given an completion date, well a date that someone would come and finish all internal works, this was june 6, a day or two before I received an email from plusnet stating that OR we're delaying the completion until June 20th this made sense as no one had been out to run the fibre etc.... I spoke to PN on Monday to ask what was happening as all work was still outstanding, once they had been in contact  with OR I was told they they still hadn't been out to complete the survey and should have it done on the 20th, yesterday I was told by PN that they had not received confirmation and expected it today, guess what still nothing from OR!
Any one experience this? If so am I in for a long wait?
Thanks
John
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: OR Delays.... How many should I expect?!?

Hi John,
Sorry to hear about the delays with your FTTP order. I'm aware that there are more complexities in the FTTP ordering process and we might not be able to be aware of the precise reason but I'll do my best to explain what the likely course of events has been (and is likely to be).
One likely obstacle that could account for the delay is the fact that external cabling work (i.e laying the fibre outside your premises) takes around a week and is generally done the week prior to your order going through, sometimes that work takes longer than expected and this can delay the appointments. It's worth bearing in mind that before that pre-install surveys need to be done, I'm aware we're beyond that stage however when it comes to the day of an install more detailed surveying is done and sometimes problems are encountered which means the work can't go ahead.
As more surveying had to take place today and no install date has been set, that tells me that an obstacle of some sort has been discovered which has led on to the need for another survey. As many of the processes involved are still at the trialing stage some aspects may mean that the install does take a while to get done but we do see the orders go through eventually.
I'll go and have a quick chat with the chaps on our provisioning team who will be chasing this up for you and make sure we're leaning on the right people and requesting as much info as possible.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
john99041

Thanks Adam,
I really don't mind having to wait for the service to be installed as I've got a good quality ADSL connection, It's just the  fact that I've been given to dates, both of which have been and gone but OR have never given any hit as to what is the hold up (not to me any way), As i said in my other post, I really couldn't be happier with PN as the poor so and so's that have had me on the phone / responded to my tickets have been extremely helpful.
I'll look forward to seeing an OR van outside the house some time soon.....
Thanks,
John
AndyH
Grafter

I can only assume that BT's resources are overstretched (still). A lot of FTTP jobs overrun in the external installation phase due to unforeseen problems.
FTTP technology is great, but it is a pain in the *** to get everyone up and running. The underground cabling conduits are frequently blocked and external contractors need to be called in.
Are you the first in your street to get FTTP? Being the first normally adds to the delay because of the initial cabling that needs to be put in place.
Out of interest, which area are you in?
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Quote from: AndyH

Are you the first in your street to get FTTP? Being the first normally adds to the delay because of the initial cabling that needs to be put in place.

Unless you're in an overhead-supplied (via poles) area, then once you see the manifolds have been fitted to the poles and your number has appeared on the BT Openreach database, you're good to go.
AndyH
Grafter

If you're in an non-overhead poles area, BTO will still need to run the blown fibre tube to the nearest DP/Splitter Node for your street. My understanding is this doesn't happen until someone in your street orders FTTP (even if they are in an enabled area) for the first time. This can be straightforward if the 90mm ducts are unblocked - or a pain if they are blocked with mud etc. As soon as one person has FTTP in your street (or close areas), then it's just a matter of feeding the 6mm blown fibre tube to the nearest manifold (which should be less than 100m).
john99041

Thanks all.
I think I may be the first person to order it on our street, it was only made available about 3 days before I called PN to order my upgrade Smiley
Having said that openreach still seem to be dragging their feet, have had two more deadlines since my first post, both have been and gone and nothing seems to have happened! My original order went in on the 18th of May so times ticking on now!