Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ONT Fault

Jaric
Dabbler

ONT Fault

Hi,

This morning I had a red light on my ONT (very rare though it did also happen yesterday too) and I power cycled the device.

However, the ONT is no longer powering on.

Can Plusnet provide support for this issue? I called technical support but they were not overly familiar with the FTTP trial. They recommended a new modem/router but these do not appear to have an optical in.

The ONT is 10 years old but has been functioning well up to this week.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: ONT Fault

@Jaric 

If you still have a phone service from PlusNet you could try logging a fault via that.

Otherwise there are no reporting mechanisms for FTTP other than to phone (and hope for the best!!!) or use this forum.

Hopefully a FTTP trained member of staff like @Gandalf will pick up on this.

Brian

Jaric
Dabbler

Thanks, Brian.

The CSA on the phone did say he could arrange an engineer visit but he was concerned that the problem was with my equipment (the ONT) and I would be charged for the call out.

I don't consider the ONT to be my equipment but I have no idea if Openreach would share that view.

As you say, I shall wait to see if an FTTP-trained staff member can advise on the correct approach.

Thanks.

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

The FTTP trial FAQs https://www.plus.net/help/legal/fttp-faq/#what-if-i-have-a-faulty-ont-router suggests you won’t be charged for replacing a faulty ONT unless you’ve caused the problem so it may be worth going for an engineer visit to replace it

Jaric
Dabbler

I shall try that then. Thanks.

edwh
Rising Star

If your installation has a battery back-up unit then you can try eliminating that in case that is at fault.

The power supply in to the BBU can go straight in to the ONT, swap it in and see if that brings the ONT back to life.

The ONT and BUU are Openreach’s responsibility though the rechargeable batteries in the BBU are your (our) responsibility and do need replacing periodically.