No Internet - red light for LOS indicator on ONT

FIXED
hmarshy
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

No Internet - red light for LOS indicator on ONT

Hello

I am on the FTTP Trial.

When I arrived home from work last night I noticed that there was no Internet available at home and there was a red light showing for the LOS indicator on the ONT. I have rebooted the ONT several times but to no avail.

In fact I left it switched off overnight and switched it on again this morning but the red light is still showing.

I am at work now so I can monitor the forum from here.

ONT.jpg

Please can someone investigate this issue and advise.

Regards

Howard

20 REPLIES 20
hmarshy
Rising Star

Re: No Internet - red light for LOS indicator on ONT

Update - I popped home at lunchtime and rebooted the ONT, still no service.

It may or may not be related but as I was driving back I did notice an Openreach engineer working in the next street on my estate.

Regards

Howard

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

As general support staff know little about the FTTP Trial you need somebody like @Gandalf to come along and sort things out.

Brian

Edit : Have you tried a factory reset of the ONT?

hmarshy
Rising Star

Update - got home from work, ONT still showing red light for LOS indicator. I have tried another reboot but it is still showing red.
Please can someone from Plusnet investigate and advise.
Regards
Howard
(Posted on my mobile)
hmarshy
Rising Star

No Internet now since Wednesday afternoon!

I am still in the same position, ONT turned off overnight, switched on this morning and steady red light showing for LOS.

I am going to try resetting the ONT at lunchtime having printed off some instructions at work.

Please can someone investigate.

Regards

Howard

RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@hmarshy 

As you appear to have had no response and Gandalf our usual intrepid helper has been tagged and appears not to be around (he's allowed to have time off!), following what @JonoH said recently about tagging members of staff (other than himself) in threads to get a response which they wouldn't automatically be notified of, perhaps JonoH will give someone a nudge for you.

Smiley

bmc
Hero

@hmarshy 

I tagged @Gandalf as I knew he was one of the few FTTP trained support staff. @bobpullen used to be another but he moved onto another department.

It's one of the problems being on the Trial - very few support staff know anything about it and it doesn't show up on PlusNet systems. This Forum is usually your best bet.

To go back to a previous comment - have you tried a factory reset as opposed to a general reboot. There should be a pin hole down one of the sides (it's on the left of the newer boxes).

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Howard, I'm sorry to see your FTTP service isn't working and apologies for the delayed response. We're a bit busy at the moment as we're a fairly small team but we're looking at getting some new people on the team. Smiley

If you've got access to the internet by other means I'd always recommend you report a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net as this will get a fault ticket logged on your account, and if a test shows a definitive external fault it'll automatically raise this with our suppliers to fix without any manual intervention needed.

A faults adviser should pick up a fault ticket within 3 working days if we don't get to it first on the back of a post here.

On this occasion though I've raised a fault ticket on your account you'll be able to view and reply to by going Here. The testing isn't showing a definitive causes apart from "ONT is down, Check that ONT is plugged in and switched on." so we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further.

Could you reply to the above ticket or the text I've triggered out, with when you'd be free for a visit?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hmarshy
Rising Star

Hello Anoush

The service is so reliable I forgot about raising support tickets! 🙄

If the red light is showing then surely that indicates that the ONT is powered up? And the ONT is exactly the same right now as the photo in my original post with both the red light LOS indicator and the power green light.

Thanks, I have updated the ticket with the morning timeslot, please can you confirm the day since I have to book time off work?

I tried the factory reset as advised by @bmc but it didn't make any difference.

Regards

Howard

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi Howard, no problem and thanks for the post back.

I'm booking the appointment now and I'll add a reply to your ticket sending you an email and text in a moment.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@hmarshy 

Yes, being too reliable is another we FTTP users have to worry about - we don't know what to do when things go wrong!!!!

You might have another minor problem if the OR engineer replaces your current ONT - the newer versions are smaller so you potentially will have a couple of screw holes visible.

Brian

bmc
Hero

@hmarshy 

For your information the following link shows the new ONT against the previous ONT. You and I have an even earlier version.

www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2019/09/a-look-at-openreachs-compact-fttp-broadband-ont-and-mini-olt.h...

Brian

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

I would hazard a guess that it is not the ONT that is the problem but the fibre somewhere in the link back to the exchange. Or Openreach have messed up the configuration and disabled the connection in error.

hmarshy
Rising Star

@RealAleMadrid was correct, it was an external fault that took 2 hours to resolve, the engineer texted me when they had found the fault and then texted me 2 hours later to ask me to look at the ONT which now had a green light for the LOS indicator.

@bmc and @RobPN  thanks both for your advice and assistance.

@Gandalf I have updated the ticket, thanks for getting this resolved so quickly. 👍

Cheers

Howard

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Glad to see the engineer's efforts fixed this quickly.

Reading their notes it looks like a piece of equipment known as the splitter had failed due to deteriorating over time and they've replaced this to get you back up and running.

Let us know if there's anything else you'd need help with. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet