Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to the Fibre Trial

KEM
Dabbler
Fixes: 2

New to the Fibre Trial

As of this afternoon I am now on the FTTC trial and whilst the BT engineer could get speeds of 40Mb download and 10Mb upload I appear to still have a restriction on my download speed as the speedtests I have run give me a maximum of 3.2Mb.
I spoke to someone at PlusNet who said they would change the settings and I should reboot my router in 10-15 minutes when the change would have happened - 1.5 hours on and I've rebooted a couple of times and still only get 3.2Mb.
If I look at my profile it seems to show that I have:
Estimated line speed:
    3.0Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2010-11-09 17:06:49
Current line speed:
Any idea how long it will take for my profile to be changed? Should I be rebooting the Netgear router to recognise when the change has happened? Do I need to do anything to the BT modem?
Sorry if I'm impatient but I'm just keen to see how fast it will go.  Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: New to the Fibre Trial

Fixed!  How's that?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
KEM
Dabbler

Woo hoo - just measured a 32Mb and a 36Mb.  Grin
Excellent - many thanks.
KEM
Dabbler

A month on and we've experienced download speeds of around 36Mbps fairly consistently  Cheesy until this weekend. I have noticed that the speeds over the weekend are usually a little slower than those experienced daytimes in the week but since Friday speeds have been closer to 18Mbps and haven't picked up this morning (although they have now - see below).
Most speedtests have been around 18Mbps since Friday and indeed up until about 10 minutes ago when I rebooted the BT modem - just thought I'd double check my speed before posting this comment and am now recording 35Mbps again.
Is this a contention issue slowing things down, was the BT router in need of a reboot or something else entirely? We generally leave the BT router on 24/7 but power down the Netgear router overnight if that makes any difference.
So far I've been very happy with how the FTTC trial has gone and the speeds achieved but wonder why the speeds have dropped so much at weekends.
Any thoughts?
knowdice
Rising Star

I have seen slower speeds from time to time if I power down or disable the WAN interface on my router and don't re-boot the BT modem...
KEM
Dabbler

I did some cleaning up of the pc on Friday and now I am  getting results around 18Mbps using Firefox whereas I get 28Mbps using Chrome.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox on the pc but the speeds refuse to go higher.
If I try using a wired laptop I achieve speeds of around 36Mbps using Firefox. Weird!!!

Floyd
Grafter

Has anyone noticed how much data is used during these speed tests? I did quite a few on installation day last week and my daily useage total doubled from average...
KEM
Dabbler

I've run loads of tests today so I expect the usage for today will be horrendous. We noticed a huge surge in daily usage when we first connected via fibre as we kept speed checking as we couldn't quite believe how fast it was going.
I guess each speedtest must be downloading around 40MB??? 36000Mbps download speed for 10 seconds or so.