Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer questions

FIXED
FakeJake
Grafter

New customer questions

Hello

My Plusnet phone and broadband are due for install in just under 2 weeks time.

I have applied for the trial and have a few questions

It seems that a previous occupier of the house had FTTP as there is a fibre splice box and fibre going into the main room of the house.

The only thing missing is the fibre modem

Will anyone need to be present for external work since the fibre is already physically installed?

Will the internal work literally consist of an engineer plugging a new FTTP modem into the already installed fibre?

Also regarding the cost of the package, fibre unlimited extra is listed as £19.99. Is that without line rental? If so, what will the monthly total be?

Many thanks
38 REPLIES 38
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: New customer questions

As it's a trial, few of the PlusNet staff are trained up on the subject. Hopefully however one who is will answer in due course.

The FTTP trial product has the same prices / service as FTTC on PlusNet so if you're current price includes line rental then I don't think it will change if you move to the trial.

I'm assuming you've signed a 12 / 18 month contract which will tie your hands for the time being but it due course you'll be able to drop your phone line if so desired as it's not required for FTTP. Note that PlusNet charge £2.50 a month on top of the Broadband only price.

Brian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @FakeJake.

I've had a bit of a look in to this and when you say there's already a fibre modem, I'm assuming you're referring to the ONT. I've checked the records at the start of an FTTP order and it shows records for an existing ONT in the property. As such, there may not be a need for an engineer visit to activate the service, and providing all goes well, it could be on within 1 working day from order placement (That's us placing the order with our suppliers, not applying to the trial)

I believe @bmc has answered the rest of your questions, however please do let me know if you have any other questions regarding this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@FakeJake wrote:

It seems that a previous occupier of the house had FTTP as there is a fibre splice box and fibre going into the main room of the house.

The only thing missing is the fibre modem

@HarryB wrote:

I've had a bit of a look in to this and when you say there's already a fibre modem, I'm assuming you're referring to the ONT. I've checked the records at the start of an FTTP order and it shows records for an existing ONT in the property.

@HarryB  It looks like the ONT may have gone AWOL  Wink.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

My mistake, I'd read the post last night when I was at home and only skimmed it again today.

I was thinking of this bit:

there is a fibre splice box

I assumed the fibre modem bit may have referred to the router, which we would send out.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
FakeJake
Grafter

The plot thickens

Not only is the ONT missing, but the internal fibre is the only fibre going to the external splice box. Theres no external fibre coming into the box. How odd... I would have thought Openreach would have left the fibre connected even if the last people here didn't use it, rather than physically take it away...

I'm guessing it will all be sorted as part of the installation. But I guess we are waiting on my normal phone line and broadband to become active first
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

That's unfortunate Sad We should know more once we've placed the regrade order with our suppliers which'll happen after your line/broadband goes live. Sorry for the delay, thanks for your patience.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Can't see any reason for OpenReach to remove anything - it would cost time and money to do so. It then costs more to re-connect should a new service be required.

Brian

Edit : To answer a question from your first post. If the internal ONT box is missing then the OpenReach engineer would need access to the house. Can you post a picture of the internal connection?

FakeJake
Grafter

Well my Plusnet ADSL is now working, is it possible to start the FTTP order?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Yes if you head here you can sign up.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
FakeJake
Grafter

Already applied!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Aye. Now that your broadband's active I've released the ticket from hold so that it'll be picked shortly. (Not that it would have made a difference if I'd left it as it was due to come off hold tomorrow anyway)

We'll be in touch shortly once we've placed the order. Grin

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FakeJake
Grafter

Thanks! The adsl seems nice and stable, but I am looking forward to fibre speeds. 5mbps will have to do for now!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Step one complete. Your FTTP order has been placed.

As your ONT is missing, I've selected the option for a new ONT.

We'll provide confirmation of the appointment date via the ticket on your account next week.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
FakeJake
Grafter

thank you Smiley

looking forward to fibre activation day