Did you mean: 

New build with FTTP

FIXED
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: New build with FTTP

@Rusty1 As others have advised if you sign up here and drop me a PM once you've done this I'll get the ball rolling for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
tangocharlie
Dabbler

Help / advice needed with fttp at new premises. Currently long standing adsl customer. House move to new build & plusnet support say fttp not privided by plusnet & to go instead to Virgin or BT. Is there any way for me to stay with plusnet via the fttp route?
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @tangocharlie

I've had a look over this to see if I could take ownership of the matter and get an FTTP order in place however I'm afraid we're not currently able to place an order for FTTP at your new address.

While we've been told on the phone order that the area is FTTP only, I'm sorry to say that the availability checker does not show any availability for anything and this is preventing us from actually placing an FTTP order.

As there's no telling how long this may take to get updated, I'd regrettably have to agree with the response advising that we'd be unable to proceed with the housemove request at this time.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

So if FTTP is not showing as available to PlusNet it will not be available for BT Retail or anybody else so no supplier will be able to provide it. You need to keep checking using the address checker option, as it is a new build perhaps the postcode or address has not been set up in the checker database yet.

Try this link and see what it gives you ...

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

tangocharlie
Dabbler

Thank you for the advice with checker link & for seeing if you could take over the fttp move. As you say, there is nought coming up at this stage on the check tool. I move house to the new build at the end of the month. If then, there is no service available, how will my account remain with my much favoured Plusnet? I will continue to check the availability checker in the meanwhile. Am brand new to this forum so bear with this newbie.
tangocharlie
Dabbler

Thank you realalemadrid. Plusnet support told me I could go Virgin or BT but this is incorrect given not yet showing on the official checker. Any further guidance much appreciated.
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Unfortunately very few of the support staff know anything about FTTP as it is only a trial so they basically haven't got a clue. As for suggesting going to Virgin, did they check to see if Virgin was available at your new address, I don't think so.Roll_eyes

Until the checker shows some availability there is not much you can do. Does it recognise your address by entering your postcode and selecting the property address from the drop down list? There is a postcode only option which is never accurate and so don't use that.

@HarryB   If the you have been told the area is FTTP only can you not chase Openreach to find out why the service is not available yet,  it could be that the checker has not been updated, to just say there is nothing you can do for a long standing customer is not doing anyone proud.Sad

tangocharlie
Dabbler

I am indebted to you realalemadrid. I will check Virgin reluctantly but will not hold my breath. The checker tool does indeed allow the correct address to be selected & then reports no availability. Does that nugget shed any further light on potential connection? I now understand how the support team are unable to progress my house move. More training needed? Said in best light rather than critism.
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

@tangocharlie

It might be worth asking the property developer who installed the FTTP on the site as sometimes new build sites are contracted to certain non-BT based FTTP providers.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Speak to the Developer to see what they're saying about connectivity. Push hard saying no service when you move in is unacceptable.

Have you tried OpenReach. They have a New Build section in their Help page.

https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/help-support/new-build-homes?utm_campaign=portalreferral...

Brian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@tangocharlie wrote:
I move house to the new build at the end of the month. If then, there is no service available, how will my account remain with my much favoured Plusnet? I will continue to check the availability checker in the meanwhile.

If the service was showing available for us to order and your account was still open with us, I shouldn't have a problem getting an order placed, although I couldn't give any accurate time scale on how long it would take to get you online following the order placement.

Best case scenario, the property developers are working with Openreach and have the ONT's pre-installed, at which point it could be as little as 1 working day to activate the service.

Failing this, the worst I've had personal experience with is one I chased up weekly for 11 months (Even taking it with me when I moved from our Provisioning team to our Complaints team!)

@RealAleMadrid wrote:

@HarryB   If the you have been told the area is FTTP only can you not chase Openreach to find out why the service is not available yet,  it could be that the checker has not been updated, to just say there is nothing you can do for a long standing customer is not doing anyone proud.Sad

I'd love to be able to do that and really do wish it was as simple as me dropping an email over to them to say "Here are the notes from our copper phone line order saying the area is FTTP only, please update your records so we can actually place an order for FTTP broadband"

In the past I've done this, got no where for multiple weeks before being told there was nothing they could do and that I needed to simply wait for the property developers and/or various other areas of Openreach that we don't have direct contact with. Then a few weeks after that it appeared on DSLchecker on it's own.

I've had a look through a few other things to see if there's anything else I can do to help, and the address doesn't seem to appear on the Royal Mail Address Checker.

@tangocharlie - Before BT/Openreach update their records, the address would need to be registered with Royal Mail, which I'm afraid I can't help with. I am however, happy to keep searching for a solution if you could look in to the address records from your side, with Royal Mail and the property developers.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@HarryB

From post 23 it does appear the address has been registered with Royal Mail.

Brian

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@bmc Admittedly I didn't even check royal mail yesterday, as it came up on DSLchecker, but then failed to provide availability.

Having checked the postcode on the royal mail site today just minutes before submitting my post, it does not come up on the royal mail address/postcode finder.

I've just double checked to make sure.

https://www.royalmail.com/find-a-postcode brings up a completely different address in a completely different area of the country for the postcode in question.
https://www.royalmail.com/business/find-a-postcode brings up the road name for the postcode, but then selecting this road says "We can't find any matched for -postcode-"

Undecided

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bmc
Hero

@HarryB

Guess I should have known better than to assume an address which "might" be on one database would be on another separate database!!! That would be too easy.

Brian

tangocharlie
Dabbler

Thank you all for your informed comments. I have distilled some action points. 1. Chased developer & await a response. 2. I agree, the Royal Mail is not picking up the address or postcode & now I alerted to that I will follow up with the developer. As an aside but I suspect related, the developer has been handing out mobile dongles to early uptake movers on the development. The sales agent thinks openreach has connected these folk but sales people can tell you anything you want to hear! My best hope is to stay with plusnet by hook or crook.