Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Fibre Installation - now back on ADSL apparently

Mikeyb72
Dabbler

New Fibre Installation - now back on ADSL apparently

Morning Folks
I have recently moved over to the fibre service on the 13th of March and things had been going well, that was until the 25th March
when I lost my connection, after many calls to Plusnet and after an engineer not attending a callout i found that my connection had been moved back to adsl.
Now my understanding is that this can only happen with an engineer going to the green cabinet in the street and physically moving the the connection back to adsl from fibre is this correct?Huh
Is it normal to move people back to adsl without actually telling them? and also if BT are making these changes surely they should be passing the information on to PN.
I do have a call open for this issue [40806676] which is still under investigation as there is an exception on my line  Cry
Any help greatly appreciated
Cheers
Michael
18 REPLIES 18
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: New Fibre Installation - now back on ADSL apparently

Quote from: Mikeyb72
Now my understanding is that this can only happen with an engineer going to the green cabinet in the street and physically moving the the connection back to adsl from fibre is this correct?Huh

In a physical sense, it isn't true. Your copper line retains a copper connection (via the FTTC cabinet) all the way back to the exchange. The voice service requires this.
So it is certainly physically possible to have the line wired via the FTTC cabinet, and then (back in the exchange) have it wired via a DSL DSLAM.
But I don't know if you can get the FTTC cabinet to turn off the VDSL modem that would also see your line while the physical connection goes that way. If it can be turned off, then I guess you could run an ADSL service over the line. If you have to leave it turned on, then its presence would probably interfere with any attempted ADSL signals.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

To my awareness it's not possible to switch from fibre back to ADSL (which should still exist on the copper line) without switching back from using the fibre modem as provided by BT to an ADSL modem or router. So it depends if you've done that really...
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
To my awareness it's not possible to switch from fibre back to ADSL (which should still exist on the copper line)

The physical connection may still exist but I be very surprised if it active and after a few days the physical connection in he exchange will be removed.
Mikeyb72
Dabbler

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
To my awareness it's not possible to switch from fibre back to ADSL (which should still exist on the copper line) without switching back from using the fibre modem as provided by BT to an ADSL modem or router. So it depends if you've done that really...

I think maybe that im not explaining myself properly, I was on the fibre service and now i have been told by PN that BT still beleive me to be on the 21cn network and nothing can be done because there is an exception on my line [Not sure what that means]
Cheers
itsme
Grafter

Thought that FFTC and FTTP are on the 21CN network. To my knowledge no 20CN exchange will offer fibre.
Mikeyb72
Dabbler

Not sure then??  all I know is im not a happy bunny right now as 3mb really dont cut it lol
Any idea what an exception on the line could mean?
Cheers
dick:quote
itsme
Grafter

Which modem are you using? Does the BT fibre modem which is for VDSL support ADSL?
Mikeyb72
Dabbler

had to go out an buy another adsl modem on the off chance that it would work.
Still have the openreach modem on the wall and netgear modem on my desk  Sad
prichardson
Grafter

An exception is an error with a process, be it a fault or an order.
The cause of the exception must be cleared to allow the normal progression of the order/fault. Unless it is cleared, no progress can be made, even manually.
In regards to fibre at 20C exchanges. Yes/no.
Northern Ireland serves FTTC to the masses now. It is deployed using 21CN, but you can't have ADSL2+ in high number of these locations. Leaving upto 8mb ADSL and upto 40mb FTTC as the choices.
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Thought that FFTC and FTTP are on the 21CN network. To my knowledge no 20CN exchange will offer fibre.

Definitely not true. My exchange started offering FTTC 5 months before ADSL2+. Both services have gone through delays, but FTTC has always been due to go live before the 21CN dates.
Note that it still only has 21CN WBC (ie broadband) - there is no date for 21CN voice changeover.
Plusnet Customer
itsme
Grafter

FTTx use the WBC backhaul so the exchange would have been upgraded.
WWWombat
Grafter

But the fibre backhaul can go via a different exchange that does have WBC connections.
Only one of our neighbouring exchanges has had FTTC enabled (and is WBC-enabled), suggesting that our backhaul goes thataway.
However, the main road past the exchange, going in the opposite direction, heads towards Guildford - one of the WBC core nodes. I'd have expected our backhaul to really head that way instead (Guildford has been 21CN-WBC enabled, but still doesn't have FTTC). However, if it did that, it would go past a different exchange that wasn't even on the plans until last week.
Anyway, I don't have my dates mixed up. The exchange was FTTC-enabled in November; people on other cabinets went live in December; my cabinet went live in March - and at the same time it went live, the 21CN date got put back from 31st March to 30th June (although Infinity had been reporting June for 2 months). 21CN then actually went live on the 7th April.
All in all, bizarre planning.
Plusnet Customer
itsme
Grafter

Would not place to much faith in the dates. From experience, as I have access to exchanges, one of the local exchanges to me had a WBC date of 31/3/11 but the equipment was fitted in the late summer of last year and the transfer to ADSL2+ was started 3 weeks ago. This exchange is also one of a few that will trial super super fast fibre.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you dont live this side of the river near Hadleigh do you?