Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetGear WNR1000v3 wireless performance

AndyHamp
Grafter

NetGear WNR1000v3 wireless performance

Hi All,
Just had my Fibre installed today and am very pleased with it so far.
However i have a question on the speed of the wireless interface on the WNR1000v3. I've set it up as "up to 150 Mbps" but looking at it from a WiFi analyser it shows that it's max speed speed is 72(N). My old ADSL router and my wireless access point (lousy signal transmission in my house ...) both showed up as 300(N).
Is there a trick to getting full speed ? For example of my access point you only get full speed with WPA2-PSK.
Any ideas ?
Thanks ... Andy
10 REPLIES 10
Jezzerash
Dabbler

Re: NetGear WNR1000v3 wireless performance

Quote from: AndyHamp
Hi All,
Just had my Fibre installed today and am very pleased with it so far.
However i have a question on the speed of the wireless interface on the WNR1000v3. I've set it up as "up to 150 Mbps" but looking at it from a WiFi analyser it shows that it's max speed speed is 72(N). My old ADSL router and my wireless access point (lousy signal transmission in my house ...) both showed up as 300(N).
Is there a trick to getting full speed ? For example of my access point you only get full speed with WPA2-PSK.
Any ideas ?
Thanks ... Andy

I have same problem and have spent most of the night googling to no avail.  Is your problem now resolved?  I have played with the channels to try avoiding those around me - no success.
ANYONE!?!?
lexusuk
Grafter

I have a Netgear DGN2000 at home which is "Up to 300Mbps" and I regularly see wireless connection speeds in the 70Mbps to 100Mbps region.  The wireless speed is all down to the signal strength being received from the router but it appears to scales downwards rather exponentially once you start to hit the edge of the wireless range of the router.  You can try using different channels, encryption modes or access point speeds to try to improve the signal strength and range but this is a trial and error process so I can't give you any specifics.
Let us know how you get on.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Also it depends on the hardware your using, if your (for example laptop) is "DRAFT" wireless N - it might not *quite* meet the specs to get the full 300 (or in this case 150mbps)
(or the two specs of two vendors dont quite 'match' up that well)
Regards
Jezzerash
Dabbler

Quote from: Alex
I have a Netgear DGN2000 at home which is "Up to 300Mbps" and I regularly see wireless connection speeds in the 70Mbps to 100Mbps region.  The wireless speed is all down to the signal strength being received from the router but it appears to scales downwards rather exponentially once you start to hit the edge of the wireless range of the router.  You can try using different channels, encryption modes or access point speeds to try to improve the signal strength and range but this is a trial and error process so I can't give you any specifics.
Let us know how you get on.

Update:  Changed to channel 13 and now have full 150N...........Whooot!  Also added 3-4Mbps to my download speed.....Double Whooot!!!!!

We are not talking about throughput here, merely what the router is 'telling' the wifi analyser is its max capacity.  I now believe it is down to the way draft 'n' provides for extending the channel +4 and -4.  If there are other APs nearby it can't so you only get 72n not 150n.
until I can knoble all the APs in my street, I will live with it.
Bu99er!
Jezzerash
Dabbler

Update:  Changed to channel 13 and now have full 150N...........Whooot!  Also added 3-4Mbps to my download speed.....Double Whooot!!!!!
matt_2k34
Grafter

If speed and latency is key, cable is the choice for me Smiley

I wouldnt go round shouting about Channel 13 just yet.
US sold kit = Channel 1 - 11
EU Sold Kit = Channel 1 - 13
Some kit which is sold in both areas, I believe only supports the US standard (1 -  11)
Some people may not have the option to connect on channel 13, and even if the router supports it - the laptop/phone/device may not, and as such you've just locked them out of their router (they can no longer see it)  Grin Cheesy
An intel Wifi chip (g) I've got in one of our laptops, will *not* do channel 13 even with various tweaks. 1-11 only  Roll_eyes
So yeah, 13 is probably the best (i use it when i can!) mainly because, its not used by everyone and their dog!
On the plus side- good to know your happy with the speed Wink
Regards
Jezzerash
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt_2k34

An intel Wifi chip (g) I've got in one of our laptops, will *not* do channel 13 even with various tweaks. 1-11 only  Roll_eyes

I don't think any b/g tech will have channel 13, AFIK it is only 'n' that gets it (needs it) and I would assume most people, that would mess with their channel settings, would check router and nic first before setting either to a manual channel.
Yes thank you, I am glad I worked it out as 3 nights searching tech papers and the 'interent' didn't really help....just one of those lucky accidents.
Regards
Jez
matt_2k34
Grafter

I don't think any b/g tech will have channel 13

G does, as I said, its regional Smiley
Regards
itsme
Grafter

I've been using channel 13 for a year with a BT business hub. Was surprised when I first saw it but then finding out that same countries ban this channel I can understand why manufacturers only produce products supporting only 1 to 11.
AndyHamp
Grafter

For what it's worth, mine only ever reports 72(N) regardless of channel or security settings. To be honest it doesn't make a big deal as we mainly use the access point in the living room which is 300(N) . It just would be nice to work out why it isn't capable of full speed. i assume that it's due to the number of other routers in the area, as the WIFI alliance logo spec does say that it should downgrade the speed to be a good citizen by not using the full number of channels to get up to 150.
Andy