cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FTTC trial experience

zpiders

My FTTC trial experience

My FTTC trial will hopefully start tomorrow (BT engineer should be here between 8am -1pm) so I thought I will start this thread to give my thoughts on the experience as well as bring up any issues i'm having.
I'm based in boring Aylesbury and am on the Plusnet extra package. As i'm a bit far away from the exchange I get pretty crappy speeds, 2mpbs download and about 400k upload,  :'(. I'm hoping to get a significant boost in speed once I'm up and running with FTTC! I have posted my current speed test results below and am looking forward to comparing them with the FTTC speed. At the moment i'm using a cheap Tenda Wireless N router/modem and my PC is connected via Wireless N (signal is excellent and speed is at 115mbs).

I will give an update as soon as i'm up and running with FTTC tomorrow.
17 REPLIES 17
zpiders

Re: My FTTC trial experience

Well the BT engineer has just left and everything is now connected. The whole job took less than 30mins, he sorted out the connection at the cabinet on the street and fitted in a new face plate on my master BT socket. When testing out the connection he got synch speeds of 40/10mbps. When testing out the speed on my PC, whilst upload speed was at around 8mbps, download speed is still slow at only 1.5mbs. The engineer mentioned that this is due to the profile i'm on at the moment and it should go to the full speed in a few hours.
Below is the speed i'm getting at the moment and will update again once i'm getting full speed. If Dave or anyone else from plusnet are reading this, maybe you can change the profile for me soon!
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Looks like someone's flipped it for you.  How is it going now?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
zpiders

Thanks for that! I just tested it out and am getting insane speeds now compared to the 1.5mbps I was getting before!

Adie:quote
Kelly
Hero

Watch those usage limits now Cheesy
Kelly Dorset
timsmith
Grafter

Hi,
I was also connected this morning and was also quoted 40/10 by the engineer when he'd performed his tests!
Im now getting

is this also a profile thing?
Tim
PS - the upload speed is amazing!
Kelly
Hero

Try that.  You might need  a restart.
Kelly Dorset
timsmith
Grafter

Thanks Kelly,
Its definitely improving

Im hoping it might go up a bit more over the next few days!
Tim
slime
Grafter

Hi,
Sorry - I hate doing this, buuuuuuut - please can someone check mine too?  I was also installed today (by 09:30 am) and quoted 40/10 but so far no better than 8/6!
Thanks,
Slime.
hulls
Grafter

I don't know what my actual connection speed is, because that's governed by the modem, and I only have access to the router  Embarrassed  I'd be interested to know. You'll also find a significant difference between doing a check via wireless G, wireless N and  a hard connection. I also found that sometimes my network adapter thinks it's USB1 and that slows it doen even more!
John
slime
Grafter

Quote from: slime
Hi,
Sorry - I hate doing this, buuuuuuut - please can someone check mine too?  I was also installed today (by 09:30 am) and quoted 40/10 but so far no better than 8/6!
Thanks,
Slime.

Slightly better now:

But plus.net profile still showing as 17000.  Please can someone check for me?
Many thanks Smiley
Quote from: hulls
I don't know what my actual connection speed is, because that's governed by the modem, and I only have access to the router  Embarrassed  I'd be interested to know. You'll also find a significant difference between doing a check via wireless G, wireless N and  a hard connection. I also found that sometimes my network adapter thinks it's USB1 and that slows it doen even more!
John

Really annoying isn't it that you can't see the actual connection speed anymore Sad
knowdice
Rising Star

Really annoying isn't it that you can't see the actual connection speed anymore Sad

This is true and maybe something that Plusnet can feed back to BT i.e. that customers would like to be able to see their sync speed.
It's certainly available, not sure if Plusnet can see it, if they can then may be it could be added to the Portal control panel.
Kelly
Hero

Hey.  I've tweaked it.  Let me know?  (You might need to reset router now, not sure on that!)
Kelly Dorset
slime
Grafter

Thanks Kelly - looking a tad better now!

No reset of router needed for that (but I may try that later!)
Many thanks and Happy New Year Smiley
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

FYI, we will automatically drop the PPP connection when a profile is updated (manually or automatically) but this can sometimes take an hour or two. You can short-cut the process by rebooting your router. You can check your Plusnet IP profile from this link, for FTTx customers this should be set to 20,000 (we un-restricted this profile, but it's still called 20,000). If it's set to anything else then we need to adjust it manually. This is done when we place the FTTx order but if we receive a delta report between the order being placed and the order activating then it needs to be manually changed.