cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving From BT FTTP

chayground

Moving From BT FTTP

Sorry, you must be getting bored of these sorts of posts, but I'm hoping someone can help me.

We've had BT Infinity 1 for over 12 months (so we are out of contract now) and because we are in Chester South we were in the FTTP trial area.  So we have a FTTP line.

We are currently paying for the 38Mb broadband (which should be 52 but they never upgraded us) and it's shot up to £47.50 a month!  They've said the best they can offer us is a 80/20 deal for £44.99.  Which is terrible value.

I really want to move over to Plusnet but am I right in thinking that in order to do so I have to request to move to a cheap ADSL package with Plusnet, and then once a customer I can apply to be put on the FTTP trial?

A few of questions I had:

1. If we do this, and we have the FTTP already, would we definitely be quickly moved onto the Plusnet FTTP trial?

I don't want to be stuck on a rubbish ADSL line for months.

2. How much does the FTTP trial cost per month?  I don't even want the phone line as we never use ours and there isn't even a phone plugged into it.  Ideally, I just want an unlimited 80/20 FTTP connection with no phone line.  Is this an option?

3. Does the FTTP Trial cost £22.49, the same as it says on the Plusnet site for the "regular" FTTC Fibre Broadband with no phone line (as we dont need a phone line)  Would there be fees for connection - I guess I have to pay a ADSL connection fee even though I really only want a FTTP connection, but can the rest of the 12 month ADSL contract be then switched over to FTTP without having to pay out twice?

Basically I dont want to start transfering over and cancelling BT services only to find I get stuck on a plusnet ADSL line and can't move onto a good fibre deal!  But I'd love to leave BT ASAP!

Thanks for the assistance!

6 REPLIES 6
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Re: Moving From BT FTTP

Welcome to the community forums @chayground

What you've said all seems correct.

As our FTTP trial is only open to existing customers, you'd need to sign up for ADSL and a phone line first (Assuming you don't have a phone line we can provide broadband on already)

It should be pretty quick to get you on FTTP once you're a customer, as you'll already have the ONT that we can just activate the service on (As quick as 1 working day from us placing the FTTP order)

What you've said regarding the prices is correct, Unlimited Fibre Extra (Without phone) would be £22.49 per month.

If you are going ahead with this and plan on getting the phone line ceased immediately, I'd recommend signing up to a non-contract option from signup so you don't run in to early termination fees for the phone line.

Let me know if you have any other questions Thumbs_Up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
chayground

A fantastically quick response, thanks, I really appreciate it!

We currently have a phone line with BT, which I guess you could provide ADSL on?  We dont use it, but I assume it works and we have a number.

So is my best bet to sign up for Plusnet ADSL without phone line if that is an option (on which ever contract has the cheapest activation fee - 18 month?)  and then get switched over to the FTTP trial, and then when that is all working, cancel all my BT services (fibre and phone)

Does that sound like a plan?

then I dont have to worry about cancellation fees for the phone line, or the larger connection fee of the non-contract option.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sounds like a plan.

@chayground wrote:

We currently have a phone line with BT, which I guess you could provide ADSL on?  We dont use it, but I assume it works and we have a number.

Assuming this is still a copper phone line and not phone over fibre, that should be fine.

Feel free to PM Me your full address, postcode and landline number and I'd be happy to check this from our side for you.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that you'd need to contact your current provider to cancel the FTTP service as this wouldn't migrate across to us like a normal broadband transfer. Ours would likely just be on another one of the ports on the ONT.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
chayground

Will PM you the details now, cheers.

Having to cancel with BT separately would actually be to my advantage, that way I could make sure the new fibre was up and running properly before losing the old one.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks for that.

Looking over the details and the records for the address/number, it all looks fine to go ahead with everything as discussed above Thumbs_Up

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
chayground

Ace,

so to confirm, I need to:

1. Sign up for plusnet ADSL (no phoneline) for either 1, 12 or 18 months 

(might as well be for the 12 months as the activation fee there is £35 rather than £60)

2. Once I have customer login details I can go over and sign up for 80/20 on the FTTP trial page.

so I could get moved onto that before I even get the ADSL activated? or do I need to get that fully working first before switching?

3. Once accepted onto the trial, I go from only paying £13.49 a month ADSL to only paying £22.49 a month for 80/20 FTTP?

4. I get sent a router for FTTP (or is it the same as the ADSL one? Or can I just use my current BT one?) and FTTP is activated (I assume this shouldn't take long as all the other hardware is already in place?)

5. Once FTTP is up and running I can cancel my FTTP with BT AND cancel my phone line with BT?

Do I need to let you know, when that is cancelled so that plusnet don't take my account down when they see the BT line is cancelled?

6. Once all that is set up, Plusnet FTTP trial works fine for £22.49 a month, with no phone connection at all from either plusnet or BT?  The sign up page for the regular ADSL and regular FTTC says "Line rental needed with another provider"  but I take it that isn't the case once FTTP is active?

If that's right, then it sounds great!