cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Might be moving

David_W
Rising Star

Might be moving

So I might be moving from Cornwall to somewhere that isn't Cornwall, the place I am looking at does appear to have FTTP, obviously my first choice will be to remain with Plusnet as I've been with you lot since 2002 or 2003.  Naturally brings up the questions.

As I'm already on the (now ended) trial, would I be able to have FTTP in a new property supplied by Plusnet?

A long while back Dave asked me to test port 2 on the ONT, this gave me 300Mb, if I move (and Plusnet are able to continue giving me my FTTP) would I be able to get the 300Mb still applied? (it currently only works on port 2 so isn't account bound but bound to the 2nd port which I was allowed to keep for helping Dave with the test).

7 REPLIES 7
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: Might be moving

@David_W 

Is it WBC FTTP that is shown as available?

If so, you might be lucky in getting PlusNet to transfer your account. Don't know about the super speed though.

Brian

David_W
Rising Star

Only going by postcode, the postcode checker says FTTH/P is available.  Which sounds reasonable, it's a new build property so the developers should have gone that route.  Hopefully the FTTP (if it's there) is pre-installed because I remember trying to get a wayleave for this place.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @David_W thanks for getting in touch.

I'd like to see us reprovide you with FTTP at your new address, although as far as I'm aware we're not placing any new FTTP orders however as this is a house move I'm just getting some clarification from our products team. 

If we are able to, I'll need to find out if we can carry on providing you with 300mbps. While I've got a fair idea who 'Dave' may be, just to confirm do you know his surname (Please PM if you do) or his community forum username?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@David_W 

If it's a new development then there's a good chance they will have gone fibre only with no copper installed. The ONT often gets installed under the stairs with internal Ethernet cable to the lounge and upstairs. You should check out cable layouts ASAP if you're moving so you know what to expect.

If it is fibre only then no copper phone service is available. If you use a phone you'd have to go VOIP with the possibility of losing your phone number (due to timing issues). You could switch to VOIP before you move so that issue is settled beforehand.

Brian

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@David_W I've discussed this with our products team and when we closed our trial in July 2018, unfortunately a business decision was made not to place anymore FTTP orders with our suppliers, which includes during house moves.

It'd be disappointing to see you go after so long 😢 but I'm afraid that if you're moving house to an FTTP only property, for the time being you'd need to find a new provider. When/if we bring out a full FTTP product, we'd happily welcome you back.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
David_W
Rising Star

Thanks for checking, obviously not the answer I was hoping for but such is life.

As for the Dave, it's probably the Dave you were thinking about as I'm sure there was only ever one PN team member called Dave involved in the trials - weird, I did a grin emote and instead of an emote it just said cheesy.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@David_W No problem. Yeah I’m certain I know the Dave you’re referring to, if I’m right he’s goes by ‘dave’ as his forum username. 

Our old emoji’s from the SMF forums aren’t rendering correctly, a bit of a known bug related to This after a recent update to the community. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet